Who Can be a School Board Trustee Candidate
To run for Trustee in the Conseil scolaire Viamonde – Ward 3 – Centre and Trustee in the Conseil scolaire catholique MonAvenir – Ward 4 – Toronto Est by-election, on the day the nomination paper is filed, a you must be:
- A Canadian citizen; and
- At least 18 years of age; and
- A resident in the area of jurisdiction of the board*; and
- Not legally prohibited from voting: and
- Not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.
Note: Conseil scolaire Viamonde and Conseil scolaire catholique MonAvenir school boundaries expand beyond the City of Toronto boundaries.
In addition, you must be a French-language rights holder as required in the Education Act, R.S.O. 1990. This includes having:
- French as a language first learned and still understood; or
- Attended a French language school in Canada; or
- Children who attended or are attending a French language school in Canada.
Candidates must also be listed as having French language school support on the assessment roll. Please be aware you cannot change your school support during a by-election.
Who Cannot be a School Board Trustee Candidate
The following people are disqualified from being elected as a school board trustee, or from holding office on any school board:
- A clerk, treasurer, deputy-clerk or deputy-treasurer of any municipality within the area of jurisdiction of the school board except those on an unpaid leave of absence
- A member of the Provincial Legislature, the Federal House of Commons or Senate who has not resigned from their office by the close of nominations. Proof of resignation must be provided by the close of nominations.
- A candidate who failed to file the necessary financial statement or exceeded the prescribed spending limit in the last municipal election or by-election
School Board Employees
- Employees of any school board in Ontario (including supply teachers) are disqualified from being elected as school board trustee or from holding office on any school board, except during a leave of absence.
- The employee must be on a leave of absence before filing their nomination paper. Documentation proving the leave of absence is required.