The City is accepting applications from driver training programs
seeking approval as recognized providers for vehicle-for-hire drivers. Application deadline has been extended to 4 p.m. March 20, 2020.
The Vehicles-for-Hire Bylaw regulates the failure of a driver to display an identifier, install snow tires on the date required, pick-up at a cabstand or hail from the street, and carry driver identification.
To report an issue, contact 311 by phone or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Customer service complaints, including driver behaviour or fares, must be made directly to the Private Transportation Company.
Tips for Safe Rides
When you are requesting a Private Transportation Company (PTC) ride, remember:
- All PTC rides must be booked through an app. Only taxis are permitted to pick up passengers from the street and from designated taxi stands.
- Check that the photo of the driver on the app matches the driver in the vehicle and the licence plate on the app matches the licence plate on the vehicle.
- PTCs can increase rates and charge surge prices. You must agree to the price before beginning your trip.
- All PTCs must display the company identifying sign in their rear window.
- Be sure to check for cyclists when entering or exiting a vehicle.
Public Safety and Consumer Protection
- All PTC drivers must meet the City’s standards for criminal background and driving history checks.
- PTC vehicles must be equipped with snow tires or all-weather tires from December 1 to April 30.
- The current minimum years of required driving experience for drivers is three years.
- All drivers need to successfully complete a City-approved training program. The new training requirement aims to improve driver awareness and enhance public safety.
- Drivers are also required to:
- attach “Watch for Bike” notices to vehicles
- securely mount all handheld devices to vehicle
- display notices in vehicles if a camera is being used to record passengers.