If wildlife deterrents have not resolved your issues, property owners can trap wildlife using a humane trap or can hire a wildlife agent to remove the animal.
The Province of Ontario has regulations in place for the removal of wildlife. The property owner or wildlife agent must:
- abide by all municipal bylaws and other applicable laws
- not harass or capture more wildlife than is necessary to protect your property
- deal humanely with wildlife that is captured or harassed
- restrict activity to your property
- not destroy the den of a furbearing mammal without approval from MNRF (Requirement for approval does not apply to fox or skunk dens)
- release captured live wildlife within 24 hours
- release captured live wildlife within 1 kilometre of where they were captured
- release wildlife on private property only with the landowner’s permission
More information can be found on the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry’s website.