Healthy eating is important in helping young children grow and develop, learn at school and develop good eating habits.
NutriSTEP® screens for toddlers and preschoolers:
- are valid and reliable nutrition checklists
- consist of 17 questions each that assess the eating habits of young children 18 months to five years of age
- help identify nutrition problems in your toddler and/or preschooler and give you ideas and tips to deal with them
Information for Parents/Caregivers
Toronto Public Health is currently providing the NutriSTEP® checklists free of charge to parents and caregivers of children 18 months to five years of age.
Step 1: Call Toronto Public Health at 416-338-7600 and ask to receive a free NutriSTEP® checklist that you can complete at home for your toddler and/or preschooler:
Toddler NutriSTEP® (18 to 35 months) is currently available in:
Preschooler NutriSTEP® (three to five years) is currently available in:
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
Step 2: Complete the NutriSTEP® checklist for your toddler and/or preschooler at home by answering the 17 questions.
Step 3: If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s eating habits after completing the NutriSTEP® checklist, call Toronto Public Health and ask to speak with a Registered Dietitian.
Information for Community Agencies
Toronto Public Health is looking to partner with our local community agencies who are interested in working with us in setting up NutriSTEP® screening clinics at their agency.
Benefits of Having NutriSTEP® Screening Clinics at Your Agency
NutriSTEP® Screening Clinics will help you to:
- strengthen your partnerships with Toronto Public Health and other community agencies
- identify children at nutritional risk
- provide nutrition information to parents with children 18 months to five years of age
- improve the overall developmental health of children in your community
Get Your Staff Trained
Call to receive information on how to set up a NutriSTEP® Screening Clinic at your agency.
Order NutriSTEP® Checklist
If you have staff trained in NutriSTEP®, you can submit a request to receive original copies of the NutriSTEP® Toddler and/or Preschooler checklists by completing the online order form.
The NutriSTEP® checklists are the copyright of the Sudbury & District Health Unit, Janis Randall Simpson and Heather Keller and must not be used, copied or distributed without a license from the University of Guelph. The Sudbury & District Health Unit is the owner of the trademarks used throughout.