Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
Healthy eating is important in helping young children grow and develop, learn at school and develop good eating habits.
NutriSTEP® screens for toddlers and preschoolers:
- are valid and reliable nutrition checklists
- consist of 17 questions each that assess the eating habits of young children 18 months to five years of age
- help identify nutrition problems in your toddler and/or preschooler and give you ideas and tips to deal with them
Toronto Public Health is currently providing the NutriSTEP® checklists free of charge to parents and caregivers of children 18 months to five years of age.
Step 1: Call Toronto Public Health at 416-338-7600 and ask to receive a free NutriSTEP® checklist that you can complete at home for your toddler and/or preschooler:
Toddler NutriSTEP® (18 to 35 months) is currently available in:
Preschooler NutriSTEP® (three to five years) is currently available in:
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
Step 2: Complete the NutriSTEP® checklist for your toddler and/or preschooler at home by answering the 17 questions.
Step 3: If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s eating habits after completing the NutriSTEP® checklist, call Toronto Public Health and ask to speak with a Registered Dietitian.
Toronto Public Health is looking to partner with our local community agencies who are interested in working with us in setting up NutriSTEP® screening clinics at their agency.
Benefits of Having NutriSTEP® Screening Clinics at Your Agency
NutriSTEP® Screening Clinics will help you to:
- strengthen your partnerships with Toronto Public Health and other community agencies
- identify children at nutritional risk
- provide nutrition information to parents with children 18 months to five years of age
- improve the overall developmental health of children in your community
Get Your Staff Trained
Call to receive information on how to set up a NutriSTEP® Screening Clinic at your agency.
Order NutriSTEP® Checklist
If you have staff trained in NutriSTEP®, you can submit a request to receive original copies of the NutriSTEP® Toddler and/or Preschooler checklists by completing the online order form.
The NutriSTEP® checklists are the copyright of the Sudbury & District Health Unit, Janis Randall Simpson and Heather Keller and must not be used, copied or distributed without a license from the University of Guelph. The Sudbury & District Health Unit is the owner of the trademarks used throughout.