This section is an excerpt from the Ontario Works Act, 1997 prescribed by the Province of Ontario.
Ontario Works Regulations
59. (1) A delivery agent may, pay or provide one or more of the benefits set out in subsection (2) to on behalf of a person referred to in section 8 of the Act in the amount determined by the administrator.
(2) For the purpose of subsection (1), the benefits are the following:
7. Any other special service, item or payment in addition to those set out in paragraphs 1 to 6 authorized by the Director.
Newborn Child Allowance is issued to eligible clients to assist with the purchase of needs and items associated with a new child.
It is essential that the client has a crib which meets the federal safety standards. If the client has an old crib (manufactured prior to October 1986), the caseworker should grant the portion of the Newborn Child Allowance to purchase a new crib.
- there is intent to keep the child
- it can be granted up to four months prior to the expected due date or up to one year following the birth (or, adoption) of a child
- $100.00 for the purchase of items such as clothing associated with the birth of the baby (or, adoption of a child)
- $260.00 for the purchase of a crib
Partial allowances may be made where there is only need for either the purchase of the items or the purchase of the crib.