The City has identified and developed a plan to study 67 different areas of Toronto in order to determine the cause of basement and road surface flooding and develop sewer/drainage improvement plans.

In 2019, the City initiated sewer capacity Assessment engineering studies for the last 21 of the 67 study areas. This accelerated process is to develop sewer improvement (upsize and storage) and catchbasin management plans within the City’s right-of-way (roads).

In 2022, for each basement flooding area, a Class Environmental Assessment (EA) study is conducted. These are complex studies that can take 18 months or more to complete. Potential drainage improvements for these studies can include new underground storage facility and wet/dry pond management to reduce the risk of future flooding.

Basement Flooding Study Areas

Find out about active and completed study areas and the study area you live in.

Scope of the Study

See what's covered and not covered by the study and also answers to common questions.

Steps in the Study Process

Learn about the typical steps in the study process.