Mount Dennis Economic Development Strategy
The City of Toronto is conducting a survey of businesses and community agencies/organizations operating in the Mount Dennis area for an economic development study. Have your say! Surveys close on June 28.
The City of Toronto is creating an economic development strategy for the Mount Dennis area. The strategy is focused on realizing economic growth opportunities within the local business community comprised of the Mount Dennis “main street” area along Weston Road and the nearby industrial/employment lands.
The strategy will consist of a multi-year action plan to help focus and coordinate the City’s economic development efforts for maximum benefit for local businesses and residents.
The Mount Dennis study will also serve as a pilot for future local economic development initiatives by the City in future.
Toronto’s employment areas are essential places for promoting economic activity and supporting the growth and prosperity of their surrounding residential communities.
This study will create an economic development strategy for Mount Dennis to stimulate revitalization, investment and job and assessment growth within the Mount Dennis business area and enhance opportunities for surrounding area residents to access jobs.
Surveys close on June 28.
The Mount Dennis Economic Development Strategy project will:
- Recognize and leverage key Mount Dennis assets including existing/planned transit, its main street commercial space, and surrounding employment lands
- Align with Economic Development and Culture’s Five-Year Divisional Strategy
- Be consultative and inclusive in engaging business and agency stakeholders operating in the Mount Dennis area
- Utilize and promote a coordinated approach among Toronto Economic Development and Culture and other internal/external partners
- Coordinate with, and provide input to, other key initiatives in the area
The study will be completed in four main phases, and is being undertaken through the engagement of a consultant, TCI Management Consultants.
Stakeholder engagement opportunities will include a Stakeholder Advisory Group, Business/Agency Survey, Workshop and Open House.
Phase 1: Community Analysis & Identification of Emerging Priorities
March – May, 2019
Consult with local business and agency stakeholders to identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for economic development in the community
- Complete an in-depth economic profile of the community
- Identify current status and emerging priorities for economic development in the community
Phase 2: Develop Draft Shared Vision & Economic Development Strategy
June – July, 2019
- Develop draft vision statement and related principles for the strategy
- Engage and consult community on draft vision and seek input on potential strategies
- Develop detailed draft action plan for the economic development strategy, that includes a range of elements (for example, recommended actions for supporting and expanding existing local businesses, main street and small businesses growth, and for supporting local hiring opportunities)
Phase 3: Finalize Economic Development Strategy & Action Plan
- Engage and consult community on draft strategy recommendations, and refine based on community input, potential delivery partnerships, and resource requirements
- Develop final Mount Dennis economic development strategy for implementation by Toronto Economic Development and Culture in coordination with other City Divisions and partners
Phase 4: Feedback & Implementation
- Collect feedback from the process to provide insight into future strategy development
Meetings and Events
- A Stakeholder Advisory Group consisting of business and agency representatives providing a range of views and perspectives on economic development issues in Mount Dennis has been established by Economic Development and Culture staff.
- The role of the Stakeholder Advisory Group is to provide input and advice at key stages in the project and to complement other planned outreach activities.
- The first of three Stakeholder Advisory Group meetings was held on April 18, 2019 at the Toronto Public Library – Mount Dennis branch.
- The following major themes related to economic development in Mount Dennis emerged from that session, to be further developed and refined as the project proceeds:
A. Leveraging Transit Infrastructure
B. Creating a Unique and Positive Identity
C. Promoting Business and Creative Enterprise
D. Encouraging Sector Development and Investment
E. Supporting Local Talent and Skills Development
- The City’s project team is planning additional stakeholder engagement activities as part of this study, including a Workshop geared to business and agency stakeholders, and a public Open House. Please stay tuned for further details, which will be posted on this page!
Subscribe for E-Updates
Subscribe to receive updates and information on upcoming activities related to the Mount Dennis Economic Development Strategy.