Community Recreation Volunteer
Looking to give back to your community? In special events, camps, programs and aquatics, volunteers play an important role. Share your experience and meet your community.
Contact a community recreation centre for an application form and more information.
Before being able to volunteer, individuals are required to:
- fill out an application form
- participate in one or more orientations
- obtain a satisfactory result from a Vulnerable Sector Screening (if applicable)
For Vulnerable Sector Screening, please allow two to three months in advance of volunteering for processing of Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information forms by the Toronto Police Service.
Note that not all community recreation centres offer volunteer activities.
To volunteer for the City of Toronto you must be at least 14 years of age.
The City of Toronto promotes a safe, welcoming, positive, inclusive environment where people are valued and respected.
Volunteers are required to:
- act respectfully when engaging with members of the public, staff and other volunteers
- show proper regard for City of Toronto property and the property of others
- demonstrate good interpersonal skills
- act in a professional and appropriate manner at all times
- take direction and follow instructions given by City staff
- remain vigilant, attentive and alert at all times
- abstain from using electronic or gaming devices while volunteering
- conduct themselves ethically, honestly, and with integrity and diligence
- adhere to City policies as outlined during the volunteer orientation
Toronto City Council has authorized the use of Vulnerable Sector Screenings as an assessment tool when assigning volunteer activities to individuals. The City of Toronto will obtain (at no cost to the volunteer) Vulnerable Sector Screenings for volunteers that live in Toronto.
For individuals living outside of Toronto, the local police service must be contacted directly and fees will not be reimbursed by the City of Toronto.
Note to Parents/Caregivers/Guardian
Dependents are required to sign the Consent to Disclosure form regardless of age or ability. Please ensure dependents understand and consent to the disclosure.
Volunteers will receive feedback from staff on an ongoing basis. If you would like to provide feedback or simply wish to make suggestions for improvement, contact onsite staff or email@example.com.
It is the responsibility of the volunteer to track community service hours. Formal recognition varies by site and/or district.