Doors Open Volunteer
Volunteers needed for multiple roles for Doors Open: Information Ambassadors, Project Facilitators, Tour Guides, Volunteer Captains and a variety of Behind-the-Scenes Assistants.
Multiple locations within Toronto’s boundaries.
Date & Time
May 26 and 27, 2018
A four-hour and/or eight-hour shift on or about May 26 and/or 27, plus a two-hour pre-event training session.
How to Apply
Contact Fiona Lucas at 416-392-9315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information Ambassadors provide front-line, top-calibre customer service to festival visitors. They are the goodwill ambassadors who keep everyone informed. Responsibilities include helping patrons navigate the event by distributing information materials, answering questions and giving directions. This position is ideal for friendly people with good communication skills and high energy who want lots of interaction with patrons, but no supervisory duties.
Project Facilitators provide unique and varied assistance to event patrons (i.e. the public) about how to interact with the art, theatre, music or architecture projects. Responsibilities include ensuring patrons have the tools and information to interact with the project appropriately. This position is ideal for friendly people who want lots of interaction with patrons, as well as hands-on experience with the projects, with no supervisory duties.
Tour Guides lead groups through buildings using a (scripted) presentation during the Doors Open Toronto program. Responsibilities include liaising with building staff, learning facts of script, and reading all supplied information. This position is ideal for people comfortable talking to large groups and who have some previous guiding experience. This position is for experienced volunteers and requires a resume.
Volunteer Captains oversee all the volunteer activities at assigned sites. Responsibilities include managing schedules, facilitating tasks, and communicating between volunteers and staff. They ensure the volunteers have a positive festival experience. This position is ideal for people with excellent personal and organizational skills, who are exceptionally reliable, committed to volunteerism, and good at problem solving. This leadership position is only open to people who have volunteered with Toronto City Cultural Events for at least two years or have proven equivalent experience in another organization. This position is for experienced volunteers and requires a resume.
Becoming a volunteer is easy. Are you:
- a resident of or visitor to the Greater Toronto Area?
- interested in festivals and events?
- age 16 or older?
Follow these simple steps:
- Read about the available volunteer positions to see if your skills, talents and interests match our team needs for our events.
- Email or phone Fiona Lucas, Coordinator of Volunteer Management at email@example.com or 416-392-9315 for information on upcoming recruitment sessions.
- After attending a recruitment session, you’ll receive a weblink to the online application form and instructions on how to fill in your Volunteer Profile with the City of Toronto.
For more information call Fiona Lucas, Coordinator of Volunteer Management at 416-392-9315 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of being a volunteer
As a Doors Open volunteer, you will:
- assist at one of Canada’s leading festivals
- acquire new skills in event production
- experience the great feeling of helping Toronto be a liveable city
- contribute to your city’s well-being
- earn hours towards community service
To become a Doors Open volunteer, you will:
- attend a mandatory information and interview session to understand the festivals produced by the City and the roles open to volunteers
- attend a mandatory training session for your specific festival and event role
As an active Doors Open Volunteer, you will:
- become part of an amazing network of enthusiastic individuals
- receive regular updates on City-produced activities
- receive recognition letters after each festival
- receive certificates of hours after each festival
- be eligible for recognition awards