Fact Sheet: Temporary Power & Water Outage at 280 Wellesley St. E.
To allow the Electrical Safety Authority and Toronto Fire Services to safely complete the inspection, Toronto Hydro will temporarily turn off power to the building. The power outage will start at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, February 6 and last a minimum of 12 hours. During this time your unit will not have electricity, heat or water, and the building elevators will not be operating.
Before the Outage
- Prepare food (non-perishable, no cooking required) for the next 24 hours
- Ensure you have enough drinking water for 24 hours
- Charge all wireless phones and electronics
- Test battery-powered lights
- Turn off household appliances and electronics such as space heaters, stoves, slow cookers and coffee makers
- Turn off all taps.
During the Outage
- Limit wireless device usage to prolong battery life
- Avoid opening your fridge and freezer to keep food cold
- Do not attempt to turn on household appliances
- Wear warm clothing and use blankets to keep warm, as needed
- Avoid using candles but if you do use them, never leave candles unattended
- Listen to building announcements
- Communicate any concerns to on-site Toronto Fire Services or building security
- Do not attempt to use building elevators.
Toronto Fire Services inspectors will be on site to ensure the owner implements the alternative measures in your building’s fire safety plan during inspection and tests. Your building owner will provide bottled water, warm drinks and refreshments in the lobby.
For updates, contact your building manager.