During a prolonged power outage, residents may wish to use alternative heating sources. It is important to be aware of the dangers of alternative heating and always use extra caution when operating heat sources.
Do not use your oven or a propane or other fuel-fired portable heater to heat your home.
- Keep portable and space heaters at least one metre (three feet) away from anything combustible including paper, drapes, furniture, bedding, loose clothing and wallpaper.
- Do not place clothes, blankets or towels on a heater to dry.
- Unless absolutely necessary, do not keep heaters on when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Keep children and pets away from heaters.
- Always stand candles in stable, non-tip candle holders before you light them.
- Keep candles away from anything combustible including paper, drapes, furniture, bedding, loose clothing and wallpaper.
- Never leave candles burning unattended or within reach of pets or small children.
- Ensure candles are fully extinguished before you leave a room or go to sleep by wetting their wicks.
- Check that your smoke alarm is working (look for a red light or press a test button).
- If your smoke alarm is not working, contact your building manager immediately.
- Call 311 if your building manager does not provide a working smoke alarm.
During any prolonged power outage, Toronto Fire Services staff monitor compliance with the building’s fire safety plan.
For information about City of Toronto services or power outage advice, contact 311.