The Conservatory is open, but due to the Allan Gardens Conservatory Palm House Heritage Building Restoration, the Palm House building and indoor public washrooms are closed. Portable washrooms are available in the parking lot area, near the playground. Two of the portable washrooms (one is accessible) are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

This indoor botanical garden features five greenhouses.


Northwest House: Arid

The Arid House is home to a large display of unusual cacti and succulents, including agave, opuntia, haworthia and aloe.

Northeast House: Tropical

The Tropical House features a mix of plants from equatorial regions.

East House: Palm

The greenhouse is closed for heritage restoration.

Plants have been relocated to Cloud Gardens and Centennial Park Conservatory.

The Palm House is located between the Tropical House and the Temperate Show House.

Southwest House: Orchid and Bromeliad

The Orchid and Bromeliad House displays include equatorial plants.

Southeast House: Temperate

The Temperate Show House showcases seasonal flower shows and has a Koi pond.

There is no coat check or lockers at this conservatory.

Pets and Service Animals

Pets are not allowed within the conservatory. Service animals are allowed.

Food and Drink

Outside food and drink are not allowed inside the conservatory.


Quick photography for personal use is allowed. Stay on the paths and out of garden collections.

Extended photoshoots, wedding photography or anything that requires set-up, equipment or staging and/or requires exclusive use of space or inhibits the use of the space by other visitors requires a permit.

Drones are not allowed in the conservatory or the park.

The land on which Allan Gardens conservatory and park sits was donated to the Horticultural Society of Toronto to be used as free, publicly  accessible space donated to plant display in 1958 by George Allan a local politician and landowner. In 1879, the horticultural society opened the horticultural pavilion and conservatory on the site which was used to host events and flower shows. The building was destroyed by fire in 1902.

In 1910, a new classically proportioned palm house conservatory building, designed by Robert McCallum, opened and is the central heritage feature on the site today. The conservatory has been expanded  – once in 1920 and once in 1957 with the four show house wings.

In 2004 the University of Toronto donated the final Conservatory building, originally built in 1932. This building is used for teaching and programming by the Friends of Allan Gardens.

The Friends of Allan Gardens is a non-profit group working with the City and dedicated to preserving and enhancing Allan Gardens. You can support the Friends by donating online.

The City is performing a comprehensive restoration and systems upgrade of the Palm House heritage building. Other renovations include the administration building, public washrooms and related park improvements.

These improvements will consist of:

  • Window glazing and glass cladding replacement
  • Ventilation and air quality systems and controls
  • New barrier free public washroom facilities with improved access from the Conservatory, Park and Playground

The conservatory will continue to be open during construction. Portable washrooms are available outside in the parking lot, near the playground. One accessible and one regular portable washroom are available.

Learn more about the heritage building restoration.