Clothing Drop Box Location Permit
- All for-profit businesses and charitable and not-for-profit operators must obtain a Clothing Drop Box Operator licence.
- All operators (for-profit and charitable/not-for-profit) must obtain a Clothing Drop Box Location permit for each box.
- Permit stickers must be clearly displayed on each box.
- Boxes must be placed in an area with lighting at all times to allow for safe operation of the boxes. Operators must provide photos to confirm that the boxes meet this requirement.
- Clearly display a schedule on each box that outlines when the content will be picked up.
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Please review the application requirements below.
Applications can be submitted in-person at the East York Civic Centre address listed above, or by email to MLSroadallowance@toronto.ca.
For email applications, once the application is approved, applicants will receive an invoice by email, along with instructions on how to submit payment online.
Please review the application requirements and complete any required forms.
At the time of application for a new permit or renewal of an existing permit, operators will be given colour-coded sticker to indicate if the box is operated by a charitable/not-for-profit organization or a for-profit business.
Clothing Drop Box Locations
Applicants must provide the municipal address(es) of the site where the clothing drop box(es) will be located.
A detailed site plan or survey, identifying the location of the clothing drop box on the premises, must be provided. Site plans should include:
- property lines
- set back requirements
- location of any intersections, driveways, sidewalks and traffic control devices
- location of lighting
A 250 metre separation is required if a third box is being added to the location.
Letter from Property Owner or Property Manager
Applicant must submit the following:
- letter from the property owner or management company indicating that the clothing drop box can be erected, displayed, located or placed on the premises
- complete Declaration of Confirmation for Placement
Municipal Licensing and Standards may contact the Property Owner/Manager to verify consent.
Safety Statement from Professional Engineer
Applicants must provide a signed statement from a third-party professional engineer stating that the engineer has reviewed the design of your box, considered the potential safety risks and determined that the box appropriately mitigates potential injury. If you are using more than one type of box, you will need to provide a signed statement for each design.
Applicant must sign a declaration that the owner has not been convicted more than three times for violations under the Clothing Drop Box Bylaw.
Applicants will also be required to sign a declaration that authorizes the City to remove any drop box that contravenes the Clothing Drop Boxes Bylaw and to dispose of the box and content immediately.
Location permits for each box: $113.52
Councillors will be notified of all new permit requests.
- All applications for new boxes will be circulated to the Councillor for comment.
- Councillors will be given 14 days to refuse a permit request.
- Applicants will be advised of their application status by email.
- If a request is refused, applicants can appeal to Municipal Licensing and Standards Division via letter or email signed by the Clothing Drop Box Operator.
- Municipal Licensing and Standards Division will draft a report to the relevant local Community Council. The City will advise the Clothing Drop Box Operator of the Community Council meeting date.
Boxes without a permit
If a clothing box does not have an easily visible permit sticker:
- The City will post a notice on the box.
- If the box is not removed within three days, the City will remove it and immediately dispose of the box and contents. The box and contents will no longer be held for 30 days.
Boxes on public property
Clothing drop boxes placed on the City’s right-of-way (streets, boulevards, sidewalks) will be removed immediately.
Boxes with a permit
The City can revoke a permit if the owner/operator has unpaid fines. The City also has the authority to remove any box that contravenes the Clothing Drop Boxes Bylaw and dispose of the box and content immediately.
Permits expire annually on the anniversary of the date that they are issued.
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the permits, will be mailed to the address on file.
If you fail to renew your permits according to the bylaw, they will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.
$113.52 for a location permit for each box.
Applicants will be required to do the following at the time of permit renewal:
- Provide a signed statement from a third-party professional engineer stating that the engineer has reviewed the design of your box, considered the potential safety risks and determined that the box appropriately mitigates potential injury. If you are using more than one type of box, you will need to provide a signed statement for each design.
- Sign a declaration that authorizes the City to remove any drop box that contravenes the Clothing Drop Boxes Bylaw and dispose of the box and content immediately.