Clothing Drop Box Operator Licence
- All for-profit businesses must obtain a Clothing Drop Box Operator licence.
- All operators (for-profit and charitable/not-for-profit) must obtain a Clothing Drop Box Location permit for each box.
- Permits must be clearly displayed on each box.
Starting October 1:
- Charitable and not-for-profit operators must also obtain a licence.
- Boxes must be placed in an area with lighting at all times to allow for safe operation of the boxes. Operators must provide photos to confirm that the boxes meet this requirement.
- Clearly display a schedule on each box that outlines when the content will be picked up.
Who Can Apply
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
How To Apply
Please review the application requirements and complete any required forms.
Applications and payment must be submitted in-person.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor.
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
- Original copies are required. Photocopies will not be accepted
All applicants must provide:
- a business/head office name and address
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation.
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted.
Charities, Religious Institutions or Non-profit Organizations must also provide:
- documentation from Canada Revenue Agency to confirm their status as a registered Canadian charity
- a complete Declaration of Charitable Organization form
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.
For-profit operators: $549.95
Charities, community organizations and religious institutions: $439.96
Clothing Drop Boxes Enforcement
Boxes without a permit
If a clothing box does not have an easily visible permit sticker:
- The City will post a notice on the box
- Starting October 1, if the box is not removed within three days, the City will remove it and immediately dispose of the box and contents. The box and contents will no longer be held for 30 days.
Boxes on public property
Clothing drop boxes placed on the City’s right-of-way (streets, boulevards, sidewalks) will be removed immediately.
Boxes with a permit
The City can revoke a permit if the owner/operator has unpaid fines. Starting October 1, the City also has the authority to remove any box that contravenes the Clothing Drop Boxes Bylaw and dispose of the box and content immediately.
Licences expire annually on the anniversary of the date that they are issued.
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the expiry dates are subject to late fees in addition to the annual fees.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, they will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.
- For-profit operators: $232.23
- Charities, community organizations and religious institutions: $185.78