Driving School Operators (In-Vehicle Training)
Driving school operators who operate a driving school with in-vehicle instruction must obtain a licence.
Individuals, partnerships and corporations.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification:
- A valid G Class Province of Ontario driver’s licence
AND one of the following:
- Canadian Passport
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
All applicants must also provide the following:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation.
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted.
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.
Schedule of Rates
Applicants must provide a schedule of rates for all services offered and classes provided.
List of Instructors
Applicants must provide a list of instructors employed by the school.
Provincial Driving School Instructor Licence
Applicants must provide an original Provincial Driving School Instructor Licence issued by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.
Applicants must provide:
- proof of $2,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance.
- a certificate with an OEF 6D endorsement. This endorsement can be requested from your insurance provider
The completed insurance form must be signed and stamped by the insurer.
An original provincial vehicle registration, where the name and address match the applicants.
Safety Standards Certificate
A valid Safety Standards Certificate issued by an approved Ministry of Transportation Vehicle Inspection Centre, not be more than 36 days old, must be submitted.
Restricted Streets Package
Applicants will be provided information outlining the streets/areas where driving instruction is prohibited.
After a completed application is submitted, staff will obtain a copy of the applicant’s driving record abstract: a three year driving history recorded by the Ministry of Transportation. This record may also be supplied by the applicant, but should be less than 30 days old.
This record, along with other documents submitted, will determine whether there are concerns with the applicant obtaining a licence.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $318.80
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.