A dance facility where seating is not provided for all patrons. Food or beverage may be offered.
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a licence.
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.
Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence
Prior to submitting an application, you must provide an approved Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence.
This is not required if an applicant is taking over an existing business that has a valid business licence or is expired less than one year prior to the time of new application (for the same licence category). However, you must complete and sign the Occupancy Declaration Form.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Include two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification.
- We do not accept Health Cards.
All applicants must also provide the following:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
- the Operating Information Questionnaire
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation.
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted.
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.
Lists of Persons of Authority
A list of all persons of authority, including any management or supervisory staff, with their current contact information.
Applicants must provide proof of insurance in the following minimum amounts, exclusive of interest and costs:
- $2,000,000 comprehensive insurance against loss or damage resulting from bodily injury to or death of one person.
- $2,000,000 against loss or damage resulting from bodily injury or the death of two or more people in any one accident.
- $25,000 against loss or damage to property resulting from any one accident.
The completed insurance form must be signed and stamped by the insurer.
Applicants must obtain a Liquor Licence and provide a copy at time of application.
Noise Control Plan
This will include:
- the maximum volume levels for music within the establishment
- the wattage of the music or sound-producing systems used in the establishment
- the sound insulation methods or mechanisms used within the building
Crowd Control Plan
This will include:
- A description of the manner in which people seeking entry or re-entry into the establishment, including the location of line ups, maximum number of people permitted to line up, and how lines will be monitored to ensure only the maximum number of people are waiting and that their conduct is orderly.
Litter Control Plan
This plan will outline how the owner will ensure that all areas immediately adjacent to the establishment are clean and free of litter, refuse and other debris, as well as which containers will be installed and maintained to ensure cleanliness.
Security Licensing Declaration
A signed Security Licensing Declaration form is necessary.
Occupant Load Certificate
Contact Fire Services at 416-338-9050 to request an inspection and corresponding occupant Load certificate.
Staff will conduct a property inspection once a complete application is submitted.
Applicants are not required to take any further actions at this stage.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $293.83
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.