Effective March 1, 2023, the Building Construction and Demolition Bylaw will be amended and right of entry permits will no longer be required. Instead you will have to follow a set of rules if entering your neighbouring property to conduct work. This webpage will be updated soon, please check back for more information.

A right-of-entry permit can be granted to enter a neighbouring property to make repairs.

You must apply for a right-of-entry permit if your neighbour does not agree to allow you to enter onto their property. If neighbours can come to an agreement on the access needed, then a right-of-entry permit is not required.

There are two types of permits: low or high impact depending on the amount of work that needs to be done. The neighbour should be given reasonable notice and the land should be brought back to its original condition once repairs are complete.

This permit only applies to repairs and/or alterations to an existing building, fence or other structure. Newly built building(s), fence(s) or other structure(s) are NOT applicable for this permit.

The contractor doing the repairs must hold a valid Building Renovator business licence from the City.

There are two types of permits: low-impact work and high-impact work. To determine which permit you require see the information below.

Permit Application Overview
This document provides a general overview of the permit application process and includes a list of what the applicant needs to submit.

Right of Entry Application Form
This form needs to be completed and submitted with the application.

Declaration of Responsibilities
By signing this form the applicant declares that they understand the obligations under the bylaw and permit and will abide by them. This form also needs to be submitted if a permit renewal is requested.

Right-of-Entry Preassessment Form
Permits generally take six to eight weeks to process. Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, applications may take longer to process. Applications need to be submitted online.

Right of Entry Contractor’s Certificate Of Insurance
Applicants must provide proof of $1,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance. The completed Certificate of Insurance must be signed and stamped by the insurer.

Applications need to be submitted online. You cannot apply for this licence/permit in-person.

Apply online

Please have all required documents ready to upload before starting the application, as it requires 10-15 minutes to complete and cannot be saved. Download a step by step guide on how to submit a new application. Permit fees can be paid online or by sending a cheque.

Submit Application

If you have already submitted an application you may upload additional documents using your upload token.

Upload Documents for Existing Request

Right of Entry – Low Impact permit fee: $347.19
Right of Entry – High Impact permit fee: $1,275.56

Right-of-entry permit fees are non-refundable. All fees include HST.

Security deposit:

  • A security deposit is required in case the property is not brought back to its original condition.
  • Low-impact deposit: $500
  • High-impact deposit: minimum of $2,000
  • The final security deposit amount for a high-impact permit will be determined as part of its application review.
    • Low-impact permit security deposit may be held for up to 60 days from the completion of the work.
    • High-impact permit security deposit will be held for twelve months after the completion of work.
  • Only certified cheques or money orders are accepted for security deposits. Cheques are to be made out to Treasurer, City of Toronto. During the COVID-19 pandemic, curbside drop-offs are being arranged.
  • The security deposit may be distributed to the neighbouring property in case of any damages during construction. This is subject to be reviewed after completion of work and once lands have returned to the original state.
  • Once it is confirmed that the security deposit may be returned, the City will submit a request on behalf of the permit holder. This process may take up to 6 weeks.

Permit extension applications submitted require district approval.

The extension fee is

  • Low Impact: $191.71
  • High Impact: $421.18

*All fees include HST

You must continue to provide proof of $1,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance. The completed Certificate of Insurance must be signed and stamped by the insurer. The Certificate must be sent by email to MLSroadallowance@toronto.ca directly from the Insurance Representative.

Existing permit holders must renew their permits via a new online renewal portal. Permit renewal fees can be paid online or by sending a cheque.

Please have all required documents ready to upload before starting the renewal, as it requires 10-15 minutes to complete and cannot be saved. Download a step by step guide on how to renew a licence or permit.

Renew Licence

Find your outstanding business licence or permit renewal invoice.

If you fail to renew your permit according to the bylaw, your permit will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.

Right-of-Entry permits are only necessary when an agreement between neighbours cannot be reached. In addition to the permit process, the City offers community mediation services through a partnership with the TNG Community Services. The TNG Community Services provides free community mediation services to Toronto residents, as an alternative means to resolving a dispute with the help of neutral mediators.

Mediation can help the City deliver better service, divert some cases from bylaw enforcement, and get to the root cause of long-standing community or neighbour-to-neighbour issues. The process is separate from bylaw enforcement and completely confidential.

You may seek resolution to your issue by contacting The TNG Community Services directly. For properties north of Eglinton Avenue contact 416-839-3425 or crt.northyork@tngcs.org and for south of Eglinton Avenue contact 416-827-5929 or crt.intake@tngcs.org.