Vapour Product Retailers
A Vapour Product Retailer is any retail store that sells vapour products, such as e-cigarettes.
As of April 1, 2020, speciality vape stores and businesses selling vapour products but not otherwise licenced, need to obtain a vapour product retailer business licence from the City of Toronto.
Licensed businesses, such as convenience stores that sell vapour products along with other products, need to obtain a vapour product retailer endorsement when renewing their existing business licence.
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions):
- Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID)
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
- Identification is required for all officers/directors listed on the Articles of Incorporation, Corporate Profile or Federal Form 6
All applicants must also provide the following:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
- Toronto Public Health Registration Letter (specialty vape stores only)
For more information about specialty vape store registration call 416-338-7600 or Email email@example.com
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation.
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted.
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.
ML&S shall deny an application for, or a renewal, for all businesses required to be licenced under this chapter that has:
- Been convicted at any time of a sexual offence against a minor or a person with a disability under any of sections 151 to 153.1 of the Criminal Code
- Been convicted of any sexual offence under the Criminal Code in the preceding ten years
- Been convicted of an offence under the following Criminal Code sections in the preceding five years:
- 84 to 117.15 (Firearms and Other Weapons)
- 264.1 to 286.1 (Offences Against the Person)
- 321 to 378 (Offences Against Rights of Property)
- 379 to 462 (Fraudulent Transactions, Wilful and Forbidden Acts of Certain Property, Offences Relating to Currency)
- 462.3 to 462.5 (Proceeds of Crime)
- Been convicted at any time of an offence under the following Criminal Code sections:
- 83.01 to 83.33 (Terrorism)
- 219 to 248 (Major Offences Against the Person)
- 267, 268, 270.01, 272, 273 (Major Assaults or Major Sexual Assaults)
- Been convicted of an offence under the following Controlled Drugs and Substances Act sections in the preceding ten years:
- 5 (Trafficking)
- 6 (Importing and exporting)
- 7 (Production)
- 7.1 (Possession for use in production or trafficking)
- Been convicted of any offence under section 4 (Possession or obtaining) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act in the preceding five years
- Been convicted of five or more offences under Chapter 545 or 546 of the Toronto Municipal Code in the preceding three years
- Any overdue by-law fines, unless the applicant provides proof that such fines have been subsequently paid
Despite these screening criteria, if a licence has been previously issued or renewed and the applicant’s or licensee’s record discloses no new breach of the screening criteria, the licence may be issued or renewed without the matter being referred to the Toronto Licensing Tribunal.
These screening criteria do not apply to any offence for which a licensee or applicant has been granted a criminal record suspension (i.e. a pardon) by the Parole Board of Canada.
Zoning approval is required for the majority of new business licence applications. When zoning approval is required, City staff will initiate the approval process after the application is received.
Zoning approval is not required if an applicant is taking over an existing business that has a valid business licence or is expired less than one year prior to the time of new application (for the same licence category). When zoning approval is not required, you must complete and sign the Occupancy Declaration Form.
A vapour product retailer endorsement needs to be registered when renewing an existing business licence and can be obtained in-person from the Licence and Permit Issuing Office at 850 Coxwell Avenue, 3rd Floor. There will be no additional cost only if the retailer is an existing business licence holder and obtains this endorsement when renewing the business licence.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $321.47
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.