Home Dialysis Water Rebate Program
Introducing the Home Dialysis Water Rebate program, to help offset the cost for increased water consumption due to home dialysis treatments for eligible residents living within the City of Toronto.
If you qualify for the program, the water rebate will be payable in the form of a credit applied to your utility account, or if requested, a cheque.
To apply for a rebate under the program, applicants must be:
- A property owner who receives a utility bill, or
- A designated tenant/agent* who is authorized by the property owner to receive and pay the utility bills, and;
The program applicant must reside at the residential property.
Residential property must have:
- Automatic Meter Reader (AMR) installed and in working condition
Property tax and utility bills:
- Utility bill must reflect an increased water consumption due to home dialysis treatment
- No outstanding property taxes or utility charges owing to the City
Patient receiving Home Dialysis treatment must be:
- The Applicant (the person applying for the program) or,
- A dependant or family member of the Applicant
To be eligible for the program, the patient must:
- Reside with the Applicant, and
- Require and receive dialysis treatment at the residential property
To apply, please submit a completed and signed application form including all required supporting documents. If you are eligible for the rebate, you will receive written confirmation of your enrolment in the program within 30 days of receipt of your application. If your account does not match the program requirements or if your application is incomplete, the application will be returned and no rebate will be processed.
*Designated tenant/agent must be currently enrolled in our Designate Mailing Request Program.
A signed and dated letter from a hospital or physician must be submitted with the completed application. The letter must include:
- Name of patient
- Start date of in-home treatment
- Anticipated duration of treatment
To complete your application, you will also need to provide:
- Number of dialysis treatments per week
- Number of hours per treatment
- Name of your home dialysis unit
- The approximate water consumption per use, or flow rate of equipment (approximate number of gallons or cubic metres of water per use)
Submission of Applications
Please submit your completed and signed Home Dialysis Water Rebate Application including all required supporting documents by mail, fax or in person:
City of Toronto
Revenue Services, Utility Billing
5100 Yonge St.,
Toronto, ON M2N 5V7
Fax: 416-696-3605 “ATTN: Utility Billing” (refer to Tips on Faxing)
In person at an Inquiry and Payment Counter.
Only one completed application per eligible person is permitted per year.
The Applicant, by making this application, and as a condition of eligibility, consents and agrees to:
- Provide information to the City to determine whether you or the patient is receiving, has received or will receive financial relief for water consumption for home dialysis treatments at the residential property (“Third Party Funding”).
- Authorize the City to collect and share information with the Ontario Renal Network (a division of Cancer Care Ontario), to determine eligibility, and;
- If required, provide written consent of Applicant’s dependent or family member to allow the collection and sharing of patient information with the Ontario Renal Network (a division of Cancer Care Ontario).
- Provide the City and its personnel access to the residential property, to verify any and all information submitted with application.
- Notify the City’s Revenue Services Division in writing immediately upon:
- end of the home dialysis treatment
- any change in ownership or tenancy of the residential property
- any change in circumstances which would alter your status as a person eligible to apply for and receive a home dialysis water rebate
The Applicant, by making this application, and as a condition of eligibility, further acknowledges and agrees that:
- Neither the Applicant nor the Applicant’s dependant or family member is receiving or has received any Third-Party Funding for financial relief relating to water consumption for home dialysis treatments at the residential property
- The Applicant completes and submits to the City a rebate application and supporting documents and provides any consents required under the program
- Program eligibility will continue for the duration of the home dialysis treatment
- If you no longer meet any one or more of the eligibility criteria for the home dialysis water rebate program, you will become ineligible and the rebate will end
- Any rebate will be payable in the form of a credit applied to your utility account, or if requested, a cheque
- The City may cancel the Home Dialysis Water Rebate Program at any time
Change in Ownership
- A change in property ownership will automatically terminate your eligibility to receive the rebate at your prior residence, and
- You will be required to re-apply for the rebate at your new property.
Designated Tenant/Agents Who Qualify for Rebate Program
Any change of ownership will require the designated tenant/agent to submit a new Designate Mailing Request form and contact Revenue Services to be reinstated into the Home Dialysis Water Rebate Program.
Other Dialysis Utility Grant Programs
If you receive a rebate or grant from other regional or provincial renal network programs, you are not eligible for the City of Toronto Home Dialysis Water Rebate Program.
Any false or deceptive statement by a person in an application or related documentation under the Home Dialysis Rebate Program or otherwise false pretense, as determined by the City, will render the applicant ineligible for the home dialysis water rebate and require repayment by the applicant to the City of any rebate amounts paid or credited to the utility bill.
Home Health Care Waste
The City provides free collection of dialysis medical waste. For more information, go to Home Health Care Waste to find out how to apply for a solid waste exemption.