Energy & Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB): Large Buildings
Over half of Toronto’s greenhouse gas emissions are generated from buildings, and improving their energy efficiency is key to achieving the City’s greenhouse gas emissions reduction target of 80 per cent by 2050.
The Province of Ontario’s Energy & Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB) regulation, is designed to help building owners and managers improve their building’s energy and water efficiency.
Through this regulation, some privately owned buildings (greater than 50,000 square feet) will be required to report annual energy and water consumption and performance data.
Full details on the regulation can be found on Ontario’s EWRB Guide.
The second mandatory reporting deadline is July 1, 2019, and applies to buildings 100,000 square feet in size and larger. Step by Step instructions on reporting can be found below.
Large multi-unit residential, commercial and some industrial buildings with a gross floor area of 50,000 square feet or more are required to report.
To see if your building is subject to the reporting requirements, consult the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) property codes.
Building owners are required to report their data to the Ministry of Energy by July 1 each year. The reporting requirement will be phased in over three years, beginning July 1, 2018, with buildings that are 250,000 square feet or more.
Mandatory Reporting Timelines
By July 1, 2018 (for 2017 calendar year):
- Commercial and industrial Buildings 250,000 square feet and larger.
By July 1, 2019 (for 2018 calendar year):
- Commercial and industrial buildings 100,000 square feet and larger.
- Multi-unit residential buildings 100,000 square feet and larger.
By July 1, 2020 (for 2019 calendar year):
- Commercial and industrial buildings 50,000 square feet; and larger.
- Multi-unit residential buildings 50,000 square feet and larger.
Information such as building characteristics, and monthly energy and water consumption data for the previous calendar year will need to be reported.
For a complete list of the data elements, you need to gather and report, visit the Province of Ontario EWRB Guide.
Building owners are required to create an online account and report data to the Ministry of Energy through the ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager.
Download the Ontario Ministry of Energy Guide for using Portfolio Manager to report under the EWRB regulation.
View a webinar recording on inputting EWRB specific fields in ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager.
Training resources on the ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager can be accessed at Natural Resources Canada.
- Update your contact information with the Province of Ontario using the Central Forms Repository.
- To receive your EWRB I.D., contact Ontario EWRB Support by:
- email at EWRBSupport@ontario.ca
- phone 1-844-274-0689
- Your MPAC assessment roll number and property code can be found on your property assessment, tax bill or on MPAC.
- Access your utility consumption information via these links:
- Determine your exact Gross Floor Area using Portfolio Manager Support
- Create an account on ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager and submit your data using Ministry of Energy’s Reference Guide
- Subscribe to receive updates from the City of Toronto on Energy Reporting and Benchmarking for Large Buildings.