Toronto has the third largest transit system in North America, operated and maintained by the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC). The TTC carries the vast majority of all public transit riders in the GTHA. All orders of government play a critical role in funding the transit system to support our ability to operate, maintain and grow the system to meet Toronto’s transit needs.

Over the next 20 years, the City’s population is projected to grow by 960,000 people. By 2041, the City’s population will be more than 3,900,000, exceeding the Provincial Growth Plan forecast by more than 500,000.

Investments are needed for the transit system to maintain the safety and reliability of the existing system and to meet mobility demands of a growing City and region total more than $60 billion.

Why We Need to Invest in our Transit System

We need to invest in our system to provide:

  • More Capacity- Improvements to track, signals, power and stations will make it possible for fleet to move through the system faster and more reliably.
  • More Fleet – A larger fleet of accessible subway cars, buses, Wheel-Trans vehicles and streetcars deliver the benefit of increased capacity to move more customers per hour.
  • More Maintenance & Storage – More garages, shops, carhouses and yards to maintain and store the larger fleet.

Benefits of Investing

Benefits of investing include:

  • More frequent service
  • Less crowding on key routes
  • Improved service reliability for customers
  • Reduction of 1.7 million tonnes of CO2

Risks of Not Investing

If we don’t invest, we will see:

  • Less frequent service and a decrease in reliability
  • More breakdowns of aging fleet, resulting in higher maintenance costs
  • More delays, poor customer service and extreme overcrowding
  • Continued pollution and failure to meet climate targets

Expanding our System

Our system also needs to grow with demand to keep Toronto moving. More information on the City’s expansion plans.

Other Facts and Stats

  • The TTC is the most efficient transit system in North America, recovering nearly 70% of its operating budget from fares.
  • The TTC is the least subsidized system in North America.

The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is a network of buses, streetcars, wheel-trans vehicles and subways. Each is interdependent on the other, with seamless transfers made by passengers from mode to mode on one fare. The Transit Control Centre, safety and security, and specialized trades all work together to deliver transit in Toronto, regardless of mode. The Transit Control Centre oversees the day-to-day operations of the TTC and operates 24 hours a day. It’s this interdependency that makes up the TTC network.

Transit operations of the local TTC network makes up the second largest expenditure in the City’s operating budget, after cost-shared social programs. In 2020, the TTC’s operating budget is $2.1 billion. In 2020, the TTC’s operating budget represents 15.8% of the City’s $13.5 billion tax and rate-supported operating budget.

The 59% of the TTC’s operating budget is funded through fares. The majority of the remaining 41% is funded from the City’s property tax-base. Learn more about TTC operating budget and 10-year capital plan and how your 2019 property tax dollars worked.

Capital Investments to Maintain Existing Assets

Over the next 15 years, the TTC has identified $36.1 billion to maintain service levels and make capital investments in current fleet, facilities and infrastructure. These capital investment needs are summarized in TTC’s Making Headway- Capital Investment Plan Update.

Approximately seventy percent of these critical investments are currently unfunded (i.e. $26.1 Billion).

The funded portion of these critical investments come from:

  • Federal Gas Tax
  • Federal Infrastructure Funding (e.g. Public Transit Infrastructure Fund)
  • Provincial Gas Tax
  • Provincial Funding Programs (e.g. Light Rail Vehicle Funding Program)
  • Debt Funding from City of Toronto
  • Development Charges from private developers collected through City of Toronto

Capital Investments to Support Growth

The City and Province recently agreed to move forward with the Toronto-Ontario Transit Partnership Agreement through which the Province has agreed to fund four transit expansion projects announced as part of its 2019 Budget.This investment is estimated to be $28.5 billion.