The City of Toronto provides employees with a paid leave of absence when there is a death of a family member.
This policy applies to all non-union employees
The city provides employees with four days paid leave of absence upon the death and funeral of any of the following family members:
- spouse, including common-law or same-sex spouse
- parents including step-parents and parents of spouse
- children including step-children
- brother, and brother of spouse
- sister, and sister of spouse
- grandparent, including grandparent of spouse
Bereavement leave must be taken between the day of the death and seven calendar days following the funeral.
If the death of a family member occurs during an employee’s vacation, the employee will be granted bereavement leave with pay and the vacation credits will be restored.
Employees must inform their manager or supervisor in writing, of the death and dates of bereavement leave.
Employees may be required to provide supporting documentation if requested.
Senior Management Team
July 29, 1999
October 17, 2019