Information Regarding BIA Polls
Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
Find information regarding public consultations on new Business Improvement Areas (BIA).
Registry Services mails a BIA Poll Notice to each business property owner in the proposed BIA area.
A business property owner must give a copy to each commercial and industrial tenant of the property within 30 days of receipt.
These documents are posted to the City’s website:
- BIA Poll Notice giving information on the proposal and how to submit a ballot
- The Declaration and Ballot for the poll
- A Proof of Ownership or Tenancy form
- Map of the proposed BIA area
Poll results are available within 15 business days of the last day of polling.
You can take part in a BIA poll if, in the proposed BIA area, you are:
- A business property owner
- A commercial tenant
- An industrial tenant
You can only submit one ballot even if you own more than one property or business in the area
If you are eligible to take part in a BIA poll, you can:
- Complete a BIA Declaration and provide proof of ownership or tenancy, if you are a:
- Property owner who purchased the property within the last 12 months
- Commercial tenant
- Industrial tenant
- Submit the documents by the deadline indicated on the Notice to:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 416-392-1260
- Mail: Registry Services, City Hall, 100 Queen St. W., Rotunda, Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
A by-law to establish, expand or repeal a BIA will not be passed if:
- The number of accepted ballots submitted fails to exceed the lesser of a minimum of 30 per cent of the number of notices mailed, or 100 ballots
- 50 per cent or more of the accepted ballots respond in the negative.