The Noise By-law provides standards for noise and applies to all properties in Toronto. The By-law prohibits noise at any time that is likely to disturb others.

The largest complaints are generally about construction, loud music or barking dogs.

Construction hours:

  • Monday to Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
  • Saturday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • not allowed on Sundays and statutory holidays.

Some construction projects have a noise exemption and can work outside of the hours listed.

Municipal work or work undertaken due to emergency situations are exempt from the Noise By-law and exemption requirements.

Applications for a noise exemption may be submitted to the district that serves your ward. To find out which district, enter your address here.

If possible, speak to the person or people responsible for the noise to give them an opportunity to correct the issue. If that does not work, then you can report a noise issue by contacting 311.

  • It may take up to five business days for a bylaw officer to contact you regarding your complaint.
  • A bylaw officer will conduct an investigation, and take appropriate action.
  • To assist in the investigation, you may be asked to provide a noise log and record the date and times you hear the noise.
  • If the noise log is used as evidence in court, then you will be required to testify.

The Good Neighbour Guide for Bars Restaurants and Entertainment Venues outlines mandatory requirements and “good will” measures that can be taken to help the bar and restaurant industry comply with regulations and operate in harmony with its neighbours, particularly residential neighbours.