The Noise Bylaw provides standards for noise and applies to all properties in Toronto. The bylaw prohibits noise at any time that is likely to disturb others.
The largest complaints are generally about construction, loud music or barking dogs.
- Monday to Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Saturday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- not allowed on Sundays and statutory holidays.
Some construction projects have a noise exemption and can work outside of the hours listed.
Municipal work, or work undertaken due to emergency situations are exempt from the Noise Bylaw and exemption requirements.
If possible, speak to the person or people responsible for the noise to give them an opportunity to correct the issue. If that does not work, then you can report a noise issue by contacting 311.
- It may take up to five business days for a bylaw officer to contact you regarding your complaint.
- A bylaw officer will conduct an investigation, and take appropriate action.
- To assist in the investigation, you may be asked to provide a noise log and record the date and times you hear the noise.
- If the noise log is used as evidence in court, then you will be required to testify.