The Signs Bylaw regulates the size and location of all temporary signs (signs that are not permanently attached or fixed to a structure or surface) on private and public property. Some temporary signs require a permit and can may be removed by the City if a permit has not been obtained.
Signs that require a permit:
- A-frame signs (not allowed to be placed in the following locations: Bloor St. W. between Avenue Rd. and Yonge St.; Bloor St. E. between Yonge St. and Sherbourne St.; Yonge St. south of Davenport Rd.)
- new development signs
- mobile signs (Mobile signs are not permitted on the public right-of-way (sidewalks, boulevards, etc.) at any time.)
Signs that do not require a permit:
- garage sale signs
- real estate signs
- open house directional signs
- community and/or charitable organizations
- religious organizations, schools
To report a temporary sign without a permit, contact 311.