Bulletin 2016-11: Shelter Standards Implementation: Document Review Process
This Bulletin summarizes the review process that will be followed to assess various documents (i.e., policies, procedures and plans) required under the Toronto Shelter Standards.
These required documents are listed in the Quick Reference: Summary of Policies, Procedures and Plans Requirements document.
Hostel Services previously posted a policy template as a resource to help providers develop or review their policies and/or procedures. Shelter providers may create or update the required policy and/or procedure either by using this template or using their existing document format and seek board and/or management approval (as specified for that document in the Shelter Standards).
Shelter providers may complete a Document Submission Cover Sheet to accompany each of the approved documents (see link in Resources section below) and submit both to their Agency Review Officer no sooner than March 1, 2017 and no later than March 31, 2017.
Upon submission of all applicable documents, Shelter Providers will be deemed to have met the administrative requirement of submitting their documentation. However, the document review will determine whether the submitted documents are in compliance with the Shelter Standards.
Agency Review Officers will acknowledge receipt of the submitted documents and conduct a preliminary review to ensure:
- All required documents have been submitted.
- All documents that require board and/or management approval have received approval.
- Key information about the documents are logged.
- Submitted documents are readable / understandable.
Agency Review Officers will inform shelter providers of any missing or incomplete information and ensure the necessary information is re-submitted.
A secondary assessment will be conducted to ensure that at a minimum:
- Policy/procedure documents include: a purpose statement; policy statement; clear explanation of roles and responsibilities; a reference to governing Shelter Standard; cross references to other related or relevant policies, procedures, plans or resources; a review date.
- Plans include: a purpose statement; clear explanation of roles and responsibilities; a reference to governing Shelter Standard; cross references to related or relevant policies, procedures, plans or resources; a review date.
All documents will also be reviewed to:
- Identify conflicts with legislation or city policies/council direction;
- Ensure it complies fully with governing Shelter Standard;
- Identify potential gaps or missed considerations.
Assessment Findings & Notification
Based on the findings of the assessment, Shelter Providers will be contacted in writing to advise whether the submitted documents are in compliance or not and identifying any follow-up work that may be required.
Recommended Next Steps for Shelter Providers
- Review the Quick Reference: Summary of Policies, Procedures and Plans Requirements to identify what documents already exist and what documents need to be drafted.
- Use the Policy and Procedure template (or existing document format) as basis to draft new policy and/or procedures. Draft/revise plans as needed.
- Ensure all documents have the prescribed approvals. Allow enough time to obtain the necessary approvals before March 31, 2017.
- Complete a Document Submission Cover Sheet for each document and submit as package to your Agency Review Officer no sooner than March 1, 2017 and no later than March 31, 2017.
If you have concerns that your organization will not be able to submit all required (and approved) documents by March 31, 2017, contact your Agency Review Officer as soon as possible to discuss your situation.
- Policy and Procedure Template
- Quick Reference: Summary of Policies, Procedures and Plans Requirements
- Document Submission Cover Sheet
- Upcoming information sessions on the document submission/review process
Contact Information: For more information about this Bulletin, please contact Mark Kim, Policy Development Officer at (416) 392-8783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.