When your child is absent, contact the child care program directly to report the absence and the expected date of return.

Absent days include any day that your child is on vacation, sick or absent for any other reason. Statutory holidays or days that the child care program does not offer service are not considered absent days.

If you receive a fee subsidy, your child is allowed to be absent for up to 35 days each calendar year (or up to 18 days if admitted after July 1st).

You are responsible for paying your assessed fee when your child is absent but if your child is absent more than the allowable number of absent days in the calendar year or if an absence is more than 20 consecutive days, you will be responsible for paying the full fee.

If your child has a documented special need or if there are extenuating circumstances, including when your child will be absent due to medical issues or when you are planning an extended travel arrangement, you may request up to 50 absent days through an appeals process.

To appeal, you will need to complete an Absent Days Extension Form or contact your Caseworker and provide documents to confirm the reason for the additional absent days to support your appeal.

If your appeal is not approved, you will be responsible for paying the full fee if your child will be absent for more than the allowable days.

If you plan to leave the child care program or transfer to another program, you must tell the child care program (in writing) and contact your caseworker at least two weeks in advance. Some child care programs need more than two weeks notice.

You must pay a penalty fee of one week’s full fee if you do not give enough notice. You must pay all outstanding fees before leaving the program. We will not approve a transfer if you have outstanding fees.

If there is no space in the child care program that you want to transfer to, we will put you on the waiting list and contact you when there is physical space.

Make sure you contact the program you want ahead of time to find out about their policies and procedures and if you have to pay a deposit or registration fee.

The City of Toronto believes that every child belongs. We recognize that there are families who may need more support with their child care arrangements. Support is available and our staff can assist you at any time.

If you become unemployed, you will continue to receive a child care fee subsidy for up to three months within any 12 month period so you can look for a job. This gives you time to look for work and re-enter the workforce without disrupting your child care arrangements.

If you become pregnant, your fee subsidy can continue until four weeks after the birth of your baby. Your child will be readmitted into care on a priority basis provided that funding for fee subsidy is available and provided there is a physical space in the child care program.

Don’t forget that if you will need child care for the new baby, you can get on the waiting list before your child is born, so apply early and tell us when your baby is born so we have up to date information.

What happens if you plan to stay home during the summer?

  • You will only receive a fee subsidy for the time that you are in a full-time activity (e.g. full-time school, employment or job searching). For example, if you do not attend school during the summer, but will return in September, you will not receive a fee subsidy for your child or children during the summer months when you are off.
    Important – Be sure to discuss your plans for the summer with your caseworker, before your school/training ends so you are not caught unprepared.
  • You will need to provide verification of school registration for September at which time your child/ren will be placed back on the waitlist. Your child/ren will be considered for readmission on a priority basis, provided fee subsidy is available and there is a space available in the child care program.
    Important –There is no guarantee that fee subsidy will be available when you are ready to return to school even though you are given priority readmission on the waitlist.

What happens if I work full time during the summer months until the school year starts again?

  • As long as you are involved in full time employment or school, you will be eligible for your fee subsidy. However, you will need to provide verification of full-time employment to your Toronto Children’s Services Caseworker so your file can be updated.

What happens if I plan to look for work when I’m not in school?

  • You may be given up to three months of job search time in a 12-month period. For example, if you received a fee subsidy while searching for a job the previous summer, you might have used your three months up and may have to wait until 12 months have passed to be eligible for job search time again.
    If you have questions or are not sure of how much job search time you are eligible for, contact your Caseworker.

If your caseworker or the supervisor is unable to help you with your subsidy concerns or complaints, or you want to appeal a decision about your eligibility, you may contact the Children’s Services Client Liaison Consultant at 416-397-1262.