Finder Tool IconGet a personalized list of available benefits, including help with child care, employment, housing and living expenses.

Service & Benefit Finder


Rent-geared-to-income (RGI) housing is subsidized housing. Learn more about the RGI subsidy.

If you have a support worker, they may be able to help you find housing; or you can contact a Housing Help Centre directly.

Housing Stabilization Fund (HSF) provides money for emergency housing needs to people receiving financial assistance through Ontario Works or income support through the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) in the City of Toronto. HSF is intended to prevent homelessness and help obtain and retain housing.

The Toronto Rent Bank, a partnership between the City of Toronto and Neighbourhood Information Post, provides grants to eligible Toronto residents who are behind on their rent or need help with a rental deposit. By providing these grants, the Toronto Rent Bank ensures that people at risk have the support they need to stay in their homes and prevent homelessness.

Upcoming changes to the Tenant Defence Fund


Starting April 1, 2022, tenant groups can directly access legal supports to address eviction and affordability matters, such as above guideline rent increase notices, through the Toronto Tenant Support Program (TTSP). Tenant groups will no longer need to apply for a Tenant Support Grant to hire legal services.

Tenant Support Grant

The Tenant Defence Fund (TDF) is a City of Toronto program that supports the preservation of affordable rental housing in the City of Toronto. The TDF is administered by the Shelter, Support and Housing Administration Division (SSHA) of the City of Toronto.

The Tenant Support Grant is part of the TDF and helps tenants in private market rental housing in the City of Toronto cover the costs of hiring professional services to:

  • Dispute an Above Guideline Rent Increase at the Landlord and Tenant Board.
  • Make an application to the Landlord and Tenant Board about maintenance issues in their building.
  • Dispute a Notice to demolish, repair or convert multiple rental units in a building at the Landlord and Tenant Board.
  • Other matters determined on a case-by-case basis.

Who Can Apply for a Tenant Support Grant

Information on eligibility criteria is provided in the Program Guidelines available below.

Only groups of tenants may apply for a Tenant Support Grant. A tenant group is a tenant association or group of two or more tenants in a building. To apply for a Tenant Support Grant, your tenant group must meet eligibility criteria in three areas:

  1. Eligible Application Type
    The tenant group is applying for one of the reasons noted above.
  1. Minimum Number of Affected Units
    Only buildings (or related groups of buildings) with five or more rental units may apply for a Tenant Support Grant.
  1. Affordable Rent Levels in the Affected Building(s)

The intent of the Tenant Support Grant is to preserve affordable rental housing in Toronto. In 2022, the rent for units affected by the application should be at or below the following amounts:

Bachelor 1-bedroom 2-bedroom 3-bedroom +
$1,531 $1,808 $2,129 $2,451


The Tenant Support Grant does not apply for rent-geared-to-income units.

All Tenant Support Grant applications are subject to the approval of the General Manager, SSHA, or their delegate, provided that there is funding available within the approved City Council budget.

How to Apply for a Tenant Support Grant

To apply for a Tenant Support Grant, your tenant group must provide the name and contact information for one tenant representative who will be the contact for the City of Toronto regarding the Tenant Support Grant application.

You can apply for a Tenant Support Grant using the downloadable application form available below.

Submit your Tenant Support Grant application by email to You can also print and mail your application to:

Attn: Grants Team
Shelter, Support and Housing Administration
Metro Hall, 6th Floor
55 John Street, Toronto, ON
M5V 3C6

After you submit your Tenant Support Grant application, City staff will assess your application and notify you of the result. You may be contacted to provide clarification or additional information to support your application.


Starting April 1, 2022, under the Toronto Tenant Support Program, the Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (CERA) will provide legal services to tenant groups on eviction and affordability matters, such as above guideline rent increase notices. At that time, tenant groups can contact CERA directly.

The City of Toronto will no longer accept new applications for Tenant Support Grants as of April 1, 2022. This change does not affect previously approved tenant support grant applications.

Assistance Applying for a Tenant Support Grant

The Federation of Metropolitan Tenants’ Associations (FMTA) Outreach and Organizing team provides assistance to tenant groups applying for a Tenant Support Grant. Contact the Outreach and Organizing team at 416-413-9442. You can also send email inquiries to the Outreach and Organizing team through the FMTA website.

Program Documents

The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) allows residential tenants to reduce their rents when the rental buildings in which they live have had a property tax decrease over two consecutive years. Municipalities are required to send notices about the tax decrease and rent reduction to landlords of affected buildings by September 15 and to tenants by December 15.

Under the RTA, notices must be sent if the tax decrease is more than 2.49 per cent and there are more than six rental residential units in a building, i.e., multi-residential rental properties. In 2001, Council adopted a policy that notices must also be sent to buildings with six or fewer units, i.e., residential rental properties, to ensure that tenants in smaller rental buildings have the same opportunity as tenants in multi-unit buildings to automatically reduce their rents.

For more information, see rent reduction information under Property tax.

Low-income Toronto residents may qualify for help from the City of Toronto with energy-related emergencies.  The Emergency Energy Fund (EEF) can help to reconnect, prevent disconnection or to assist in the payment of energy arrears for hydro, gas or oil services.

People on Ontario Works may receive a one-time payment of up to $50 to reimburse the cost of items such as:

  • caulking
  • sealing or weather-stripping for doors and windows
  • insulation for hot water pipes and hot water tanks
  • flow restrictors for shower heads

Who Can Apply

To be eligible, you must receive Ontario Works and:

  • be responsible for paying the bill for the specific utility
  • not pay for these costs as part of your monthly rent
  • provide receipts for the purchase of items that will help conserve the utilities you pay for (such as fuel, water, or electricity)

How to Apply

To apply for this one-time payment, please speak to your Ontario Works caseworker.  You will need to provide proof that you pay for the specific utility and provide receipts for the energy conservation item(s).  This benefit is only paid as a reimbursement.

High utility bills may put low income homeowners and tenants at risk. The programs listed below may be able to provide financial help. For more details on eligibility and applying contact the program directly.