This section is an excerpt from the Ontario Works Act, 1997 prescribed by the Province of Ontario.
8. Benefits may be provided for,
(a) a recipient or a dependent;
(b) a person eligible to receive income support under the Ontario Disability Support Program Act, 1997 or a dependent; and
(c) members of the prescribed classes of persons.
55. (1) The following benefits shall be paid with respect to each of the members of a recipients benefit unit if the administrator is satisfied that he or she meets the criteria for them and income assistance is being paid on his or her behalf:
1. An amount for health benefits equal to the sum of,
(ii) the cost for dental services and vision items and services for dependent children if those services and that cost have been approved by the Minister (Amended June 1, 1998),
59. (1) A delivery agent may, pay or provide one or more of the benefits set out in subsection (2) to or on behalf of a person referred to in section * of the Act in the amount determined by the administrator.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), the benefits are the following:
Employment and Social Services Dental Programs consist of three components.
1. Emergency Dental Program for Adults in receipt of Ontario Works (OW) Emergency Assistance (EA) and dependents 18 years and older of Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) clients. This program is primarily an adult program.
2. Denture Program for recipients of Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
3. Dental Services provided to Children in Receipt of Social Assistance
Effective January 2016, Ontario Works (OW) dental services to dependent children (0 – 17) of recipients on OW will be provided under the Healthy Smiles Ontario program. Healthy Smiles Ontario is a free dental program that covers regular visits to a licensed dental care provider, such as a dentist or dental hygienist. It covers a full range of preventative and early treatment dental services including regular check-ups, cleaning, fillings, x-rays and scaling.
The program is administered by Accerta and is a comprehensive dental plan designed by the Province.
4. For Dental Services (including Dentures) for people not receiving Ontario Works (OW) assistance
Toll-free TTY: 1-800-855-0511
Seniors residing in Toronto who require assistance with applying for the OSDCP, have applied for OSDCP and were deemed not eligible, or require dentures/partial dentures can contact Toronto Public Health at (416) 338-7600 or through one of the Public Health Dental Clinics
Read a summary of dental services for low-income residents not on social assistance.