This section is an excerpt from the Ontario Works Act, 1997 prescribed by the Province of Ontario.
59. (1) A delivery agent may pay or provide one or more of the benefits set out in subsection (2) to or on behalf of a person referred to in section 8 of the Act in the amount determined by the administrator. O. Reg. 134/98, s. 59 (1).
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), the benefits are the following:
1. The cost of dental services.
2. The cost of one or more prosthetic appliances, including eye-glasses.
3. The cost of vocational training and retraining.
4. The cost of travel and transportation.
5. The cost of moving.
6. The cost of a funeral and burial and the extraordinary costs of transporting a deceased person.
7. Any other special service, item or payment in addition to those set out in paragraphs 1 to 6 authorized by the Director. O. Reg. 134/98, s. 59 (2).
(3) An application for discretionary benefits shall be in the form and manner approved by the Director and shall be made to the administrator for the geographic area where the applicant resides. O. Reg. 134/98, s. 59 (3).
(4) Beneficiaries under the Family Benefits Act and children on whose behalf financial assistance is provided under section 49 of the Ontario Disability Support Program Act, 1997 are prescribed classes for the purpose of clause 8 (c) of the Ontario Works Act, 1997. O. Reg. 227/98, s. 33.
(4.1) Children on behalf of whom temporary care assistance is provided are a prescribed class of persons for the purpose of clause 8 (c) of the Act. O. Reg. 261/06, s. 10.
(5) Ontario or a delivery agent is entitled to recover amounts paid under paragraph 6 of subsection (2) from the persons or organizations liable for the payment of those costs. O. Reg. 134/98, s. 59 (5).
Employment and Social Services provides financial assistance on behalf of deceased Toronto residents who do not have sufficient funds in their estate to fully cover the cost of a basic funeral, burial and/or cremation.
Employment and Social Services will pay a funeral home or cemetery to provide funeral, burial and/or cremation services and products in accordance with the items and rates in agreement with Toronto & District Funeral Directors Incorporated (TDFDI).
Important: TESS has an agreement with TDFDI. Partial payments to make changes to the services and products provided are not allowed.
Read a summary of coverage for funeral expenses and how to apply.