Ear Piercing Infection Prevention and Control
- Record the client’s name, address, telephone number, the date and type of procedure and the name of person giving the piercing. Record the jewellery manufacturer and lot number. Keep client records and accidental exposure records onsite for at least one year and on file for at least five years.
- Clean and disinfect headrests, worktables and chairs. Use a low-level disinfectantbetween clients.
- Clean your hands before putting on single-use disposable gloves and after removing the gloves.
- Put on a new pair of single-use disposable gloves for each client.
- Before marking the skin, clean the area with an approved antiseptic such as 70% isopropyl alcohol. Use a disposable swab. One minute after the ink has dried, but before piercing, clean the site again with the approved antiseptic.
- Piercing devices that come with sterile disposable parts must be cleaned with soap and water and then disinfected. Use an intermediate-level disinfectant such as 70% isopropyl alcohol for at least 10 minutes, after each client.
- Disposable parts must be discarded into the garbage after each client.
- Piercing devices cannot be stored with used parts left on them.
- After disinfection, store the piercing device in a sanitary manner to prevent contamination (i.e. off the floor and dust free).
- No. Opened packages of jewellery are no longer sterile. These items cannot be used to pierce the skin of the next client.
- Pre-packaged, sterile jewellery or parts must not be cleaned or disinfected before piercing.
- Only pre-packaged, sterile jewellery can be used for piercing.
- Jewellery used for piercing cannot be sampled or returned.
- Yes. Every client should be told and receive written information on how to care for their piercing and what they should do if it becomes red, swollen or uncomfortable.
For a copy of this document in the following languages, please email us at BodySafe@toronto.ca
中文 / Simplified Chinese
中文 / Traditional Chinese
Italiano / Italian
한국어 / Korean
Português / Portuguese
Русский / Russian
Español / Spanish
தமிழ் / Tamil
Tiếng Việt / Vietnamese