Dry Cleaning and Industrial Laundry – ChemTRAC Reporting Tools
You may use the following assessment process for ChemTRAC reporting.
To help you estimate the amounts you need to report to ChemTRAC, Toronto Public Health has developed the calculators* that you can use. These can be opened using Microsoft Excel or a free office suite such as OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org) or LibreOffice (www.libreoffice.org).
These documents may not be fully AODA** compliant. For accessible formats or communication support, please contact ChemTRAC (email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-338-7600).
Download the calculators related to your processes. If you use more than one calculator, you may use the “Calculation of totals” calculator to add up the use and release amounts.
|Dry Cleaning||Quick Guide (PDF) (NEW!)|
|Industrial Laundry||Guide (PDF)|
|If you use 2 or more calculators||
*See “Notes about the Calculators” on this page
**Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)
Keep the following records and supporting documents for 5 years, including:
- Calculation files
- Summary of the amount of cleaning solvent, detergents, spot cleaning materials, softener or other chemicals that contain VOCs along with their MSDS for the reporting year
- Number of the disposed filters for the reporting year if any
- The natural gas bills for the reporting year, if you used natural gas for drying process
- Confirmation page that you printed after submitting your report (see step 4)
Compare the results (from the Output Summary table in the calculators) with corresponding thresholds in the appropriate reporting categories.
|Tetrachloroethylene (perc)||100||Otherwise Used||Cleaning solvent table|
|Volatile organic compounds Total (VOCs)||100||Released to Air||Cleaning solvents other than Perc|
|Particulate matter (PM2.5)||30||Released to Air||Natural gas fired boilers/dryers|
|Nitrogen oxides (NOx)||200||Released to Air||Natural gas fired boilers/dryers|
For other chemicals check the “Complete List”
|NAICS* Code||NAICS Description|
|812310||Coin-Operated Laundries and Dry Cleaners|
|812320||Dry Cleaning and Laundry Services (except Coin-Operated)|
|812330||Linen and Uniform Supply|
* North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
For other NAICS Codes check the “Statistics Canada” website
- The calculators listed above are the most current versions. It is strongly recommended to download the calculator each time you use it.
- The above calculators can help you identify which priority substances (chemicals) your facility uses or releases, and estimate the amounts of these chemicals to see if you need to report to the Environmental Reporting and Disclosure Bylaw. Depending on the processes your business uses, you may need to use more than one of the calculators in Step 2 – if this is the case, you can add up the amounts using the “Calculation of Totals” calculator.
- These calculators are provided solely as an aid. They may not apply to all or parts of your business operations. You can choose to use these calculators or other tools to estimate chemical use and emissions. The City of Toronto makes no representation or warranty as to the applicability of these tools to your facility or to your obligation to comply with the Environmental Reporting and Disclosure Bylaw (Municipal Code Chapter 423). It is the responsibility of each facility owner or operator to take the necessary steps to ensure compliance with the bylaw.