New to Canada? There are free health services available to you and your family from the City of Toronto no matter how long you have been in Canada:
  • If you have been a resident of Ontario for three months, you are entitled to health care services paid for by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). You must have a health card to access these services.
  • If you need urgent health care, go to your local hospital. Please note: If you do not have any health coverage, you will be billed for these services.

Free Services

The services below are free and do not need a health card.

Language interpretation is available. Call 3-1-1 and ask for an interpreter.

Your health is important before, during, and between pregnancies. Get advice on the phone or by email about:

  • having a healthy pregnancy
  • giving birth
  • breastfeeding
  • child growth and behaviour
  • toilet training

If you cannot afford to pay for a dentist, you may be able to receive free dental care.

To find out if you are eligible, call 3-1-1 and ask for a dental appointment.

Contact us to get advice about:

  • children’s nutrition
  • shopping for groceries
  • community gardens
  • cooking programs
  • healthy low-cost meals

Free immunizations are available if you don’t have a health card. For more information on immunization and free clinics, call the Immunization Information Centre 416-392-1250, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Every time your child receives a vaccination, you need to report it to Toronto Public Health. Your child may be suspended from school if they have an incomplete record or does not have a valid exemption on file. Toronto Public Health can translate your immunization record for you.

Toronto Public Health Sexual Health Clinics provide free and anonymous advice about sexual health issues. The clinics also provide confidential services such as:

  • free or low cost birth control
  • pregnancy tests, counselling, and referrals
  • free testing for and treatment of sexually transmitted infections
  • free testing for HIV
For more information, call 416-392-2437  Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.

Being diagnosed with active TB disease does not affect your immigration status or your family’s status in Canada. If you have active TB disease, a TB nurse from Toronto Public Health will work with you and your health care practitioner while you are being treated. TB treatment is free of charge in Ontario even if you do not have health insurance.