Parenting & Child Development Information for Health Professionals
Health care professionals are in a unique position to support parents in the optimal growth and development of their children through early assessment and interventions.
The parent/caregiver and child relationship, in the first three years, plays a crucial role in the child’s development which can influence the rest of their life.
18-Month Well-Baby Visit
Early intervention in response to developmental concerns has a positive effect on children’s development and behavioural outcomes. Health care professionals play a vital role in completing the 18-month well-baby visit.
Health care professionals’ role during the visit:
- Complete the Rourke Baby Record at the 18-month-old check-up.
- Encourage families to complete the Looksee Checklist by NDDS.
- If a developmental concern is identified refer to services through CITYKIDS at 416-920-6543 or Early Abilities at 416-338-8255.
- General and Family Practitioners: A002
- Pediatrics: A268
- Ontario’s Enhanced 18-Month Well-Baby Visit (MOHLTC)
- More information, including certified online learning programs and resources for health professionals related to Ontario’s Enhanced 18-Month Well-Baby Visit
Parenting Programs and Services
- Parenting programs for parents/caregivers with children from newborn to six years old are offered at various locations across the city.
- Health Professionals may refer patients to parenting services by calling 416-338-7600.
- Patients may self-refer by calling 416-338-7600. For more parenting information, visit Healthy Parenting on our public site.
- Telephone Counselling
- Public Health Nurses are available at 416-338-7600, Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to provide telephone support and referral for parenting, and community resources.
- 18-Month Well-Baby Visit Courses and Tools
- On Track Guide: a reference guide for professionals in Ontario
- Toronto Early Childhood and Family Resource System
- Training and Workshops for Other Service Providers
Patient Administered Screening Tools
Resources for Patients
- Parenting Programs
- 18-Month Well-Baby Visit Parent Resources
- Toronto Public Health (TPH) Parenting Information
- TPH Nutrition and Food Access Information
- Best Start Resources for Parents
- Early ON-Child and Family Centres
- Pregnancy to Parenting Blog
- inTOkidshealth e-newsletter
- Ready for Reading: Birth – 5