To find out if the Healthy Babies Healthy Children program is right for you, call Toronto Public Health or speak with a Public Health Nurse through eChat for more information.
Healthy Babies Healthy Children (HBHC) is a free home-visiting program that supports you and your family with:
- having a healthy pregnancy
- developing a positive relationship with your child
- promoting your child’s growth and development
- connecting you to resources and programs within your community
- working together to give your child the best start in life
The HBHC program is free, voluntary and you do not need an OHIP card in order to receive service.
If you live outside the Toronto area and are interested in the HBHC program please contact your Local Public Health Unit.
Who Is Eligible
The HBHC program provides services to families in the prenatal period and to families with children in their early years (birth up until a child’s third birthday). Children can enter the HBHC program up until their third birthday.
You may be eligible to receive HBHC services if you are
- living in Toronto
- pregnant or recently had a baby or are parenting a child who is 0 to three years old
- the legal guardian of the child(ren)
- actively parenting the child(ren) in the family’s place of residence
- and available for home visits during our hours of operation.
You must also meet one or more of the following. If you are:
- a newcomer to Canada, here less than three years and having your first baby in Canada
- concerned about or have questions about your child’s growth and development and behaviours
- feeling alone with very few or no support from family or friends
- experiencing or have a history of a physical and/or mental health illness (e.g. depression, anxiety) that is making your pregnancy or parenting your child challenging
- a first time or experienced parent with questions about parenting and building a healthy relationship with your child
- facing challenging life situations such as homelessness, domestic violence, no OHIP
Those eligible for the program will receive long term home visiting from a Public Health Nurse and Family Home Visitor.
We will work together to support you with: