To find out if the Healthy Babies Healthy Children program is right for you, call Toronto Public Health or speak with a Public Health Nurse through eChat for more information.
Healthy Babies Healthy Children (HBHC) is a free voluntary and province wide home-visiting program that supports you and your family with:
- having a healthy pregnancy and birth
- connecting with your baby
- how you can help your child grow and develop
- breastfeeding, food and healthy nutrition
- taking care of yourself and your family
- services available for you and your child in your community
If you live outside the Toronto area and are interested in the HBHC program. Please contract your Local Public Health Unit.
Who is Eligible
The HBHC program provides services to pregnant individuals, their partners, and families with young children from birth to three years of age. Children can enter the HBHC program up until their third birthday. You do not need an OHIP card in order to receive services.
You may be eligible to receive HBHC services if you are
- living in Toronto
- pregnant or actively parenting a baby/child who is three years old and younger
- the legal guardian of the child(ren)
- available for home visits during the program’s hours of operation
You must also meet one or more of the following. If you are:
- a newcomer to Canada, here less than three years and having your first baby in Canada
- concerned about or have questions about parenting your child, your child’s growth and development, and building a healthy relationship with your child
- feeling alone with few or no support from family or friends
- experiencing or have a history of a physical illness and/or mental health symptoms (e.g. feeling depressed or anxious) that is making your pregnancy or parenting your child challenging
- facing challenging life situations such as homelessness, relationship difficulties, no OHIP
Those eligible for the program will receive home visits from a Public Health Nurse (PHN) and Family Home Visitor (FHV).
We will work together to support you with: