Carefree Lodge provides individualized care to each of its 127 residents within a safe and friendly environment. Guided by the CARE values – Compassion | Accountability | Respect | Excellence, we are committed to improving quality of life and support for healthy aging. To learn more, watch the Commitment to Care video.
Opened in 1967 as a retirement home, the City of Toronto purchased the building from the Vint Foundation, renovated the site and opened Carefree Lodge in 1991, featuring:
- private and semi-private accommodations with ensuite washrooms on three levels
- resident lounges
- a library, gift shop, and hair salon
- activity room with a full kitchen
- therapeutic garden and outdoor patio
- unique octagonal formal dining room that overlooks a ravine.
- As recognized leaders in behavioural support programs, we have a long history of demonstrated knowledge of dementia, delirium and mental health in the delivery of care.
- Staff and medical professionals are knowledgeable in the most prevalent types and related causes of behavioural issues, understand disease processes, stages and progression, diagnostic and assessment process, cognitive or neurological symptoms, treatment interventions, appropriate communication to address resident needs, strategies to promote optimal quality of life and experience of the behaviour(s) from the perspective of the resident, family members and other partners in care.
- Residents with severe cognitive impairment live on the Garden Level which includes its own dining room, lounge area with fireplace and secure outdoor patio. Beautiful murals adorn the walls and life panels depicting the lives of each residents are installed outside the rooms
- Recreation programs are developed to meet the specific needs of the residents and are held during the day, evenings and on weekends
- We offer a range of inter-denominational faith services and based on the resident population we also offer specific cultural activities such as Jewish and Korean recreational activities.
- smoke-free environment
- diverse resident and staff population
- lesbian, gay, bi and transgender (LGBT) friendly home accepting all residents regardless of religion, language, and cultural, ethnic background.
Families are an integral part in helping make the best decisions for their family member. We offer many opportunities for families to be involved:
- resident care conferences
- Family Council
- satisfaction surveys
- volunteer services.
- Volunteers, including family members, adult and youth members of the community along with college and university placement students, all play a pivotal role in improving the quality of life of the residents
- Carefree Lodge has excellent partnerships with the North York General Hospital’s Psychogeriatric Mental Health Outreach Team, Nurse Practitioner-led Outreach Team (HRRH & NYGH) to work with our team to support resident care. The Regional Geriatric Program provides educational support to the team in management of resident care.
Take a Virtual Tour
If interested in a guided personal tour, please call 416-397-1500