Hundreds of thousands of people rent their homes in Toronto. RentSafeTO: Apartment Building Standards is a bylaw enforcement program that ensures that building owners and operators comply with building maintenance standards.

Compliance includes:

  • developing and implementing a cleaning plan
  • posting a tenant notification board and keeping it up to date
  • tracking tenant service requests and responding to urgent service requests within 24 hours

Owners of rental apartment building with three or more storeys and 10 or more units are required to register and comply with the program or face financial penalties.

Learn more about what building owners must do to comply.

If you have issues with the physical condition of the apartment that you are renting (taps that don’t work, heat that isn’t working, a broken window) or the common areas of your building, talk to your building owner or manager. Use this service request form as a guide. English French

Allow your building owner a reasonable time to make the repairs. For repairs such as painting walls or replacing floor tiles or counters within a unit, a reasonable time could be several weeks. If the repair involves the lock on a main door or no heat, water or hydro within the unit, it requires immediate attention.

If the repair is not performed in a reasonable time, contact 311 to file a complaint. You can reach 311 by dialing 3-1-1 or by email at Once a complaint is filed, a Bylaw Enforcement Officer will come and inspect your building.

You can check the status of your investigation using the reference number provided to you by 311. Enter your reference number in the Status Tracking box at the bottom of the home page and click “GO.”