City of Toronto Snow Clearing
Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
If you are a senior or person with a disability living in the city core and require the sidewalk snow clearing service, please download the application form and submit it along with the required documentation. If you have any questions about the form, the service or are unable to print the form, please contact 311. (This service is available in some parts of Toronto, York and East York only).
Here is a brief description of what you can expect:
- High pedestrian volume sidewalks will be cleared when the snow has stopped and the accumulation has reached two centimetres (approximately one inch). High pedestrian volume sidewalks are sidewalks on arterial roads, transit routes, near school zones and around accessibility locations.
- Low pedestrian volume sidewalks will be cleared when the snow has stopped and the accumulation has reached eight centimetres (approximately 3 inches). Low pedestrian volume sidewalks are sidewalks on local roads.
- Generally, it takes approximately thirteen hours to clear sidewalks after a snowfall. However, depending on the severity of the storm, sidewalks may have to be cleared more than once.
- This service can take up to 72 hours after the snow has stopped.
- The service does not include the clearing of snow from driveways or private approaches (private sidewalks) leading to a residence.
- If your property is a corner lot, the sidewalk on the flank will not necessarily be cleared at the same time as the sidewalk at the front. This work is sometimes performed by different equipment.
- While every attempt is made to clear all the residences on the service within 72 hours, if your sidewalk has not been cleared after 72 hours after the end of a snowfall, please call 311 and staff will place your address on our “missed list” and crews will be scheduled to attend and clear the sidewalk.