Layer clothing

Build breathable (cotton, wool) clothing layers to include thermal underwear, undershirt, track suits, sweaters, snowsuits, winter boots, hats, mittens and scarves.

Cover exposed skin

Exposed skin can become frostbitten in as little as 30 seconds, always cover exposed skin especially when the wind is a factor.

Keep moving

Try to limit the time sitting. Stand up and move around to allow circulation to reach better reach all body parts.

Blankets and portable seat/cushion

Sitting on cold pavement or concrete can increase the risk of hypothermia. Sitting on a blanket or portable seat will limit the risk.

Drink fluids

Dehydration can occur even when the temperature is below freezing. Hot chocolate is a great way to remain well hydrated.

Avoid alcoholic beverages

Alcohol diminishes the body’s ability to feel the cold and can cause an increased exposure time.

Signs of hypothermia

Confusion, lethargy, weakness, apathy, pale skin colour.

Signs of frostbite

Pale grey, waxy textured skin in affected area cold to the touch, numbness and localized pain, swelling and blistering.

An alert goes into effect when Environment Canada:

  • Predicts a temperature of -15° Celsius or lower, without wind chill
  • Issues a wind chill warning for outdoor activity for people in the Toronto area
  • Predicts extreme weather conditions, such as a blizzard or ice storm

Under the alert, the following extra services are available to help homeless people:

  • Additional emergency sleeping spaces in Toronto hostels/shelters
  • Increased street patrols by Anishnawbe Health Street Patrol to reach homeless people
  • Distribution of TTC tickets through 17 drop-in centres and outreach agencies to help homeless people reach shelters
  • Provision of emergency transportation through the Canadian Red Cross for homeless people trying to reach services/shelters

The STREET Helpline service, 1-866-392-3777 (free from any payphone), also operates 24 hours a day to let homeless people and front-line workers know where to find shelter and other services.

Consumers must know that portable generators can be hazardous if used improperly. The hazards are:

  • Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning from the toxic engine exhaust and
  • Electrocution from connecting the generator to the home electrical wiring system.

To avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning:

  • Never use a generator indoors or in attached garages.
  • Only operate the generator outdoors in a well-ventilated, dry area, away from air intakes to the home, and protected from direct exposure to rain and snow, preferably under a canopy, open shed, or carport.

To avoid electrocution:

  • Plug individual appliances into the generator using heavy duty, outdoor rated cords with a wire gauge adequate for the appliance load.
  • Observe the generator manufacturer’s instructions for safe operation.
  • Do not plug the generator into a wall outlet.
  • If connecting the generator into the house wiring is necessary, have a qualified electrician hook up the standby electrical system, or have the local utility install a linking device if available.

Never store gasoline in the home. Gasoline, kerosene and other flammable liquids should be stored outside of living areas in properly labeled, non-glass safety containers. They should also not be stored in a garage if a fuel-burning appliance is in the garage. The vapor from gasoline can travel invisibly along the ground and be ignited by pilot lights or arcs caused by activating electric switches.

If at all possible, avoid connecting the electrical output of the generator into the house wiring. Instead, connect individual appliances that have their own outdoor rated power cord directly to the receptacle outlet of the generator, or connect these cord-connected appliances to the generator’s electrical outlet via a suitable, outdoor-rated extension cord having a sufficient wire gauge to handle the electrical load.

If connecting into the house wiring is necessary on a temporary basis to operate permanently wired equipment, such as a water pump, furnace blower/controls, room lighting, etc., there are important steps that require the utmost care to avoid electrocution. In some locations, the local utility company may offer to install a device at the electric meter socket to permit their customers to connect a portable generator to the household wiring during periods of power outages. If that service is not available or chosen, another method is to have a qualified electrician install a manual transfer switch.

A transfer switch permits transfer of the load from the household power source that is normally supplied by the electric utility over to the portable generator. The transfer switch should be certified by UL, CSA, or other independent test lab for this application, and be mounted within an electrical box. Transfer switches and related accessories designed for connecting a standby system are available from electrical supply stores. The equipment for these accessories includes:

  • cord sets with special locking and recessed connectors
  • electrical boxes with controls for the branch circuits that will receive temporary power from the generator
  • feeder cable to connect the existing electrical panel to the transfer switch

When properly installed, the transfer switch will isolate the circuits supplied by the generator from those normally supplied by the utility. This prevents inadvertently energizing circuits in both systems, and reduces the possibility of electrocution resulting from contact with conductors presumed to be de-energized.

Do not operate more appliances and equipment than the output rating of the generator.

  • Keep portable and space heaters at least 1 metre (3 feet) away from anything combustible including paper, drapes, loose clothes furniture, bedding and wallpaper.
  • Never place clothes on a heater to dry.
  • Avoid leaving heaters on when you leave the house or go to bed.
  • Keep children well away from heaters.

Space heaters must have a Canadian Standards Association (CSA) label.

  • Have a professional inspect and clean your chimney at least once a year.
  • Always use a fire screen.
  • Burn only materials appropriate for a fireplace.
  • Never burn trash or paper – burning paper can fly out your chimney.
  • Put ashes in metal containers and never store them in your home.

  • Be nice, clear your ice. This not only helps pedestrians but also the emergency workers that may be responding to your home or work site.
  • When travelling this holiday season, remember to have a safety kit in your car. A first aid kit, booster cables, gloves and hats, non perishable snacks, blanket, and candles would be a great start to protecting yourself while travelling.
  • When driving on snowy or icy roads, keep in mind that it takes longer for vehicles to stop. Reduce your speed on slippery roads and give yourself plenty of room to stop.