The Second World War saw significant changes on the home front. The government encouraged businesses to enter war production, and rationing came into effect. Women entered the workforce in great numbers into jobs not generally seen as being in their realm of expertise.
During the Second World War, a Federal Transit Controller was installed to ensure that all transportation systems were used effectively and assisted in the war effort. The TTC and its Hillcrest Shops aided in this effort. Under this controlling body, the TTC was given permission to purchase more PCCs and buses. These purchases were necessary to meet the TTC’s ridership growth, which doubled from 1939 to 1945. To accommodate demands for new services and increased ridership, the TTC extended routes or began new services, new loops were created, and more substations were needed to relieve the electrical overload.
The provision of public transit was seen as necessary for the success of the war effort.
New substations were erected to supply the additional power required by TTC streetcars to meet the high demand on the system.
TTC built and maintained a variety of bus and streetcar loops around the City, which made it easier for rolling stock to navigate the ends of routes, while also providing comfort for riders and easing traffic congestion. Several additional loops were built during the war to reduce the need for streetcars to turn around via public roadways; improve connections between buses and streetcars, and extend streetcar service closer to newly-built war industries.
Victory loans were a means for the Canadian Government to raise monies for the war effort. TTC employees, through payroll deductions, invested in Victory Loans and War Savings Certificates. The 4th Victory Loan had 2832 TTC employees apply, which resulted in a $238,500 contribution.