Body Piercing, Electrolysis, Hair Salon, Nail Shop, Tattoo and Waxing
Businesses that provide personal services that could pierce the skin are required to obtain a personal service setting licence.
Different types of personal service activities include:
- Aesthetics – beautifying, cleaning, stimulating, hydrating or waxing the skin through the use of cleansers, antiseptics, lotions, exfoliants, masques, essential oils and hair removal waxes
- Body and ear piercing – piercing the skin with a needle or an ear-piercing device to insert jewellery
- Electrolysis – removing hair through an electric current conducted through a needle inserted into a hair follicle
- Hairstyling – cutting, shaving, styling or hair colouring, including facial hair
- Manicures and pedicures – cosmetic treatment of nails and skin on hands and feet
- Tattoo, microblading, and micropigmentation – depositing pigments below the skin with needles
Who Can Apply
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
How To Apply
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
Individuals, partnerships and corporations must provide:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
- a copy of the Personal Service Settings Owner Declaration Form
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6).
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.
Public Health Inspection
Proof of a passed Health Inspection from Toronto Public Health.
You can arrange this by calling 311 or the Health Connection Line at 416-338-7600.
Where electrolysis, ear piercing, body piercing, micropigmentation, microblading or tattooing is provided, applicants must provide proof of $1,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance.
The completed form must be signed and stamped by the insurer.
Certification (Certificate of Qualification)
Applicants for hairstyling (Sole Proprietors & Partnerships Only) must provide a valid Certificate of Qualification issued by the Province of Ontario through the Ontario Colleges of Trades.
Ontario College of Trades Client Services: 1-855-299-0028
What Happens After You Apply
Zoning approval is required for the majority of new business licence applications. When zoning approval is required, City staff will initiate the approval process after the application is received.
Zoning approval is not required if an applicant is taking over an existing business that has a valid business licence or is expired less than one year prior to the time of new application (for the same licence category). When zoning approval is not required, you must complete and sign the Occupancy Declaration Form.
Licence Renewal Information
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $242.75
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.