Commercial Parking Lot
Commercial parking lots where people are charged to park a vehicle require a licence.
This licence does not apply to:
- parking lots that offer free parking
- parking spaces rented on a weekly, monthly, or yearly basis for an individual’s exclusive use
- parking on driveway of residential buildings
- parking lots operated by or under the authority of the Toronto Parking Authority
- parking locations operated by City agencies, boards, commissions and divisions
- parking locations operated by registered charitable organizations
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.
Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence
Prior to submitting an application, you must provide an approved Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence.
This is not required if an applicant is taking over an existing business that has a valid business licence or is expired less than one year prior to the time of new application (for the same licence category). However, you must complete and sign the Occupancy Declaration Form.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID)
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
All applicants must also provide the following:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation.
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted.
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.
Additional Application Requirements
Submit the following:
- Photographs of the signage posted at your parking lot premises
- A copy of your daily parking receipt (front and back)
- If you are not the property owner, submit a letter of authorization from the property owner that indicates you are operating the parking lot on behalf of the property owner and are able to issue private tickets OR that the lot is being enforced by a Private Parking Enforcement Agency.
Each location to be operated as a Commercial Parking Lot (whether on a temporary or permanent basis) requires:
- A separate CPL Operator licence
- Appropriate zoning clearance under existing zoning by-laws, in order to operate and be licensed.
Where the property owner and the operator of the parking lot on that property are not the same entity, the operator must provide to ML&S, proof of authorization from the property owner.
If You Issue Private Invoices
Submit a copy of your private invoice (front and back) and a completed Acknowledgement Form
Staff will conduct an inspection of the parking lot once a complete application is submitted.
Applicants are not required to take any further actions at this stage.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $287.02
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.