Licences to Serve and/or Sell Alcohol
The offices at North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge Street, Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Drive and Etobicoke Civic Centre, 399 The West Mall will close at 12 noon on Thursday December 20 for mandatory staff training.
Limited service will be available at Toronto City Hall at 100 Queen St. West. Services are also available at other municipal offices outside of Toronto: City of Mississauga, City of Pickering, City of Markham and Richmond Hill.
Full service at all offices will resume on Friday, December 21 at 8:30 a.m.
To serve and/or sell alcohol in Toronto you will need a liquor licence/permit from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Certain licences require that you serve notice to the City Clerk or are required to get municipal clearance or approvals from the City of Toronto. These include liquor sales licences, retail store authorizations, temporary extensions and special occasion permits (SOP).
Municipal Clearance for a Liquor Sales Licence
As part of the liquor sales licence approval the AGCO will require the Municipal Information Form to be signed by the City Clerk and municipal clearance/approval letters from the building, fire and health departments.
When submitting your documentation to the Clerk’s office you must:
- Have a business licence number from Municipal Licensing & Standards
- Your establishment must be ready for inspection within 30 days from the day your application is submitted
- If your application includes an outdoor patio you must ensure that a building permit has been issued that includes the patio OR that you have obtained a preliminary zoning review for the patio. If you are unsure call Toronto Building at 416-395-7000
The City Clerk’s Office will:
- Complete your Municipal Information form and submit it to the AGCO
- Circulate your application and documentation to Fire Services, Toronto Building and Public Health for letters of approval/clearance
- Give notice of your application to Toronto Police Services, Municipal Licensing & Standards and the City Councillor for the area
Fire Services, Toronto Building and Public Health will:
- Contact you to arrange an inspection
- Conduct the inspection
- Provide the AGCO with the required approval or denial (compliance letter)
- You will then be contacted by the AGCO
How to Apply
Visit one of four City Clerk’s offices and submit:
- Completed Municipal Information from provided by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO)
- Floor plans identifying the proposed area to be licensed (format 8.5″x11″)
- City of Toronto Municipal Liquor Licence Clearance Form
- Administration fee of $817.36 (including HST)
- Payments accepted: Cash, debit, credit card, money order or certified cheque payable to “Treasurer, City of Toronto”
- Special Occasion Permit applications are available through the AGCO
- SOP notifications to the City Clerk should be sent to the appropriate Community Council
- For outdoor events, notifications must also be sent to the police, fire and health departments
- Events using a tent, marquee or tiered seating must also notify the building department
- For detailed information on applying for a SOP see the AGCO Special Occasion Permit Application Guide
Municipal Clearance – $817.36 (including HST)
Retail Store Authorization – $101.00 (HST does not apply)
(all fees are subject to Council budget approval)