What Type of Vehicle Can I Have?
There are different types of vehicles that are eligible to be taxicabs in Toronto depending on the type of taxicab owner’s licence:
Toronto Taxicab Licence (TTL) Licence:
Taxicabs with a TTL must have an Accessible Vehicle.
In December 2020, City Council adopted bylaw amendments that placed a moratorium on the enforcement of the age of vehicles for the next two years. The change came into effect on January 1. 2021. This means that taxicabs manufactured in 2013, 2014 and 2015 will need to be replaced in 2022.
Taxicabs with a standard licence also needs to use vehicles that meets the following criteria:
- cannot be a former police vehicle or a taxicab from another jurisdiction
- must have the taxicab plate affixed to the right side of the rear bumper
- must have four doors
- cannot be currently attached to a Private Transportation Company (PTC) licence
- must be equipped with winter tires from December 1 to April 30
Replacement Vehicle Registration:
To register a replacement vehicle the following documents can be submitted through our online renewal portal:
- Provincial Vehicle Ownership
- Proof of compliance with CAN3_D409-M84 vehicle standards for accessible vehicles
- Safety Standard Certificate (SSC) or Annual Inspection Certificate (AIC). All accessible vehicles must provide the AIC, which must be dated within 36 days of submission.
- Certificate of Insurance can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org