What Type of Vehicle Can I Have?
There are different types of vehicles that are eligible to be taxicabs in Toronto depending on the type of taxicab owner’s licence:
Toronto Taxicab Licence (TTL) Licence:
Taxicabs with a TTL must have an Accessible Vehicle.
Taxicabs with a standard licence can use vehicles that meets the following criteria:
- Must be no more than seven model years old. For example, a taxicab manufactured in 2012 must be replaced in 2019.
- Cannot be a former police vehicle or a taxicab from another jurisdiction.
- Must have the taxicab plate affixed to the right side of the rear bumper.
- Must have four doors.
- Cannot be currently attached to a Private Transportation Company (PTC) licence.
Replacement Vehicle Registration:
To register a replacement vehicle online, the following documents can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Provincial Vehicle Ownership
- Proof of compliance with CAN3_D409-M84 vehicle standards for accessible vehicles
- Safety Standard Certificate (SSC) or Annual Inspection Certificate (AIC). All accessible vehicles must provide the AIC, which must be dated within 36 days of submission.
- Certificate of Insurance can be emailed to email@example.com