The City is accepting applications from driver training programs
seeking approval as recognized providers for vehicle-for-hire drivers. Application deadline has been extended to 4 p.m. March 20, 2020.
Taxicab brokerages accept requests to connect individuals with taxicabs. Methods include using a smartphone or similar technology.
Who Can Apply
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
How to Apply
Apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.
Application fee: $419.28
Accessibility Fund Program fee: $250.64
You will need to pay a total of $669.92 when applying for your taxicab brokerage licence.
Learn more about the Accessibility Fund Program and how it will support the availability of accessible service and offset the higher cost of providing wheelchair accessible service.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions):
- Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID)
- Canadian Passport (Photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (Photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
- Identification is required for all officers/directors listed on the Articles of Incorporation, Corporate Profile or Federal Form 6
Partnerships & Corporations
What corporations and partnerships need to apply
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
- a partnership agreement
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation are unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
A list of brokerage fees that are charged to drivers.
A list of taxicab owners that operate with the brokerage
Brokerages that use radios need to provide proof of a radio licence from Industry Canada. If using an app-based meter, approval needs to be obtained from the Licence and Permit Issuing Office.
- Additional data on trip records and collision reporting will be required from taxicab brokerages.
- Data will be used for audit and compliance, accessibility, transportation planning and environmental initiatives relevant to the industry.
- Taxicab brokerages will need to submit data to the City dating back to January 1, 2020.
The City shall deny an application for, or a renewal, for all businesses required to be licenced under this chapter that has:
- Been convicted at any time of a sexual offence against a minor or a person with a disability under any of sections 151 to 153.1 of the Criminal Code;
- Been convicted of any sexual offence under the Criminal Code in the preceding ten years;
- Been convicted of an offence under the following Criminal Code sections in the preceding five years:
- 84 to 117.15 (Firearms and Other Weapons);
- 264.1 to 286.1 (Offences Against the Person);
- 321 to 378 (Offences Against Rights of Property);
- 379 to 462 (Fraudulent Transactions, Wilful and Forbidden Acts of Certain Property, Offences Relating to Currency);
- 462.3 to 462.5 (Proceeds of Crime).
- Been convicted at any time of an offence under the following Criminal Code sections:
- 83.01 to 83.33 (Terrorism);
- 219 to 248 (Major Offences Against the Person);
- 267, 268, 270.01, 272, 273 (Major Assaults or Major Sexual Assaults).
- Been convicted of an offence under the following Controlled Drugs and Substances Act sections in the preceding ten years:
- 5 (Trafficking);
- 6 (Importing and exporting);
- 7 (Production);
- 7.1 (Possession for use in production or trafficking).
- Been convicted of any offence under section 4 (Possession or obtaining) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act in the preceding five years;
- Been convicted of five or more offences under Chapter 545 or 546 of the Toronto Municipal Code in the preceding three years;
- Any overdue by-law fines, unless the applicant provides proof that such fines have been subsequently paid.
Despite these screening criteria, if a licence has been previously issued or renewed and the applicant’s or licensee’s record discloses no new breach of the screening criteria, the licence may be issued or renewed without the matter being referred to the Toronto Licensing Tribunal.
These screening criteria do not apply to any offence for which a licensee or applicant has been granted a criminal record suspension (i.e. a pardon) by the Parole Board of Canada.
What Happens After You Apply
Zoning approval is required for the majority of new business licence applications. When zoning approval is required, City staff will initiate the approval process after the application is received.
Zoning approval is not required if an applicant is taking over an existing business that has a valid business licence or is expired less than one year prior to the time of new application. When zoning approval is not required, you must fill out an Occupancy Declaration in-office.
Once You Are Licensed
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $281.95
Accessibility Fund Program fee: $250.64
You will need to pay a total of $532.59 when applying for your taxicab brokerage licence.
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.