Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
A person who repairs or renovates buildings/structures, including anyone who advertises themselves as a renovator, is required to obtain a licence. Building renovation includes the following activities:
- manufacture or installation of cabinets and vanities
- concrete work
- tile setting
- tuck pointing
- flat roofing
- installation of aluminum or vinyl products
Individuals, Partnerships or Corporations
Apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office located inside the East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor.
Application fee: $397.48
Exam fee: $63.95
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport (photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- first and last names must match on all identification
- we do not accept Health Cards
Partnerships and corporations must provide:
- a business location/address;
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement; and
- a partnership agreement
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation is unable to apply in person, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead;
provide two pieces of identification for themselves; and
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation or,
- if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record/Background Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
Note: A criminal record/background check is required for all corporate officers and directors.
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older to obtain a licence.
A photo will be taken at the Licence and Permit Issuance Office at the time of application.
Applicants must successfully complete an examination.
The examinations are oral and in English, however you may bring an interpreter to assist you. The examination takes around 30 minutes and covers sections on business acumen, bylaw knowledge and technical knowledge.
A examination application form will be completed and exam slot will be booked at time of application.
Applicants must complete a declaration advising they have working knowledge of the Ontario Health & Safety Act with respect to industry regulations.
A form will be provided at time of application.
Zoning approval is required for the majority of new business licence applications. When zoning approval is required, City staff will initiate the approval process after the application is received.
Zoning approval is not required if an applicant is taking over an existing business that has a valid business licence or is expired less than one year prior to the time of new application. When zoning approval is not required, you must provide a signed lease agreement or proof or property ownership.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $235.34
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.