Heating contractors install warm air, hot water or steam heating equipment of any kind (except oil tanks and oil/gas burners) require a licence.
Anyone who advertises themselves as a heating contractor is also required to obtain a permit.
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
Apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office located inside the East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell Ave., 3rd floor.
Original documents required for all applications and renewal transactions.
Include two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport (photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- valid Work Permit
Note: first and last names must match on all identification. We do not accept Health Cards.
Corporations and partnerships require the following in order to apply:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
- a partnership agreement
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves; and
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification
Applicants must provide an original criminal record/background check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
Note: a criminal record/background check is required for all corporate officers and directors.
Provide the name of the City of Toronto licensed Master Heating Installer employed by the Heating Contractor applicant.
Photo will be taken at time of application.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $235.34.
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.