If you own or lease a property that is being used as a Veterans’ Clubhouse or Legion Hall, you may be eligible for a property tax rebate, under Chapter 767-Toronto Municipal Code.
To be eligible, you must:
- own or lease the space and occupy the property, which is used as a Veterans’ Clubhouse or a Legion Hall
The City may verify this information by arranging a site inspection of the property.
- A written statement with respect to the purpose and nature of the organization.
- Written confirmation that your organization occupies the entire property.
- If the Veterans’ Clubhouse or Legion Hall occupying the property leases out a portion of the premises to a tenant(s):
- a copy of the executed lease(s) for any leased space
- If the Veterans’ Clubhouse or Legion Hall occupies leased spaced:
- a copy of the lease agreement
- written confirmation and/or calculation from the landlord of the property taxes paid by the organization
If you are applying for the first time, your written request with supporting documents must be received by December 31 of the following year.
Submission of Applications
Submit your request by courier, registered mail or fax:
City of Toronto
Revenue Services, Property Tax Rebates
5100 Yonge St.,
Toronto, ON M2N 5V7
Fax: 416-696-3623 (refer to Tips on Faxing and Emailing)
Changes in Property Assessment
If the property’s assessment is subsequently changed for any reason, the related rebate amount for that taxation year will be recalculated.
If a rebate has already been issued, the City of Toronto will notify the applicant of the recalculated rebate amount. The City of Toronto will recover any excess amount that was paid.
Making a False Statement
Any person who knowingly makes a false or deceptive statement in an application made to the City or in any other document submitted to the City under this section will:
- disqualify the property from eligibility for a tax deferral, cancellation, or rebate for the year in which the application was made
- be required to repay any tax deferral, cancellation, or rebate paid or credited
- be required to pay interest at the rate 1.25 per cent per month on the amount required to be repaid under Subsection A(2) from the date that the taxes were originally deferred, cancelled or rebated