Free-Floating Car-Share Parking Permit Pilot
for free-floating car-share parking permits for their vehicles.
Prior to permits being issued, Companies must also submit a list of valid licence plate numbers and up-to-date Ontario validation sticker information for each car-share vehicle.
The list must be submitted in electronic format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On April 24, City Council approved a Free-Floating Car-Share Pilot for 18 months.
- On July 23, 2018, City Council amended the pilot so the that beginning of the eighteen (18) month pilot be established as the first month in which Free-Floating Car-Share Pilot permits are issued.
- The permit will be provided for a term of no longer than 12 months with the possibility of a renewal of no longer than 6 months if the car share company/organization complies with the terms of the permit.
- Up to 500 overnight on-street permits to be issued per car-share company for customers to park on permitted streets (for a maximum of 2,000 permits).
- Excluding streets/areas that are at or above 100% capacity or more for residential permit parking.
- No more than 1 car-share vehicle from the same company is allowed to park on a street block with residential permit parking for any length of time. Car-share company must move its vehicle(s) within 2 hours of a complaint.
- Temporary permits can now also be issued to residents, visitors and tradespersons for streets with permit parking not at or above 100% capacity.
For more information please contact email@example.com
- A Free-Floating Car-Share Parking Permit Application form must be submitted by the car-share company/organization.
- Car-share company/organization must also submit a list of valid licence plates along with up-to-date Ontario validation sticker information (vehicle registration copies) for each requested car-share vehicle, to a maximum of 500 car-share vehicles per car-share company/organization. The vehicle list must be submitted in electronic format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Car-share companies must pay any outstanding fines or penalties before permits can be issued as part of the Free-Floating Car-Share Pilot.
- The free-floating parking permit shall be clearly displayed in the lower inside of the windshield on the driver’s side of the car.
- Streets and areas that are at or above 100% capacity or more for residential permit parking must be excluded from the car-share company/organization’s car-share service area via geo-fencing within the respective car-share company/organization’s trip reservation system. A list of excluded streets/areas that are at or above 100% capacity or more for residential permit parking will be provided by the City at the beginning of the permit period and updated every 6-months.
- A car-share vehicle must not be parked in any one place for a period exceeding two (2) consecutive days.
- No clustering is permitted, where clustering is defined as more than one (1) car-share vehicle from the same car-share company parked on the same City street block for any length of time. If this occurs:
- A car-share company must move its car-share vehicle(s) within two (2) hours of becoming aware of its own vehicles clustering.
- A car-share company must move its car-share vehicle(s) within two (2) hours of receipt of notification from the City or a resident.
Per car-share vehicle/per year: $1,487.85 + HST
Per Permit: $32.43 +HST
Re-issuance of a free-floating car-share parking permit for a new license plate shall only occur if the original permit is returned to the City.
- The annual fee for each permit applies to the car-share’s company/organization’s initial start date. Additional permits purchased within the term are prorated on a monthly basis.
- All fees are subject to applicable taxes and an annual inflationary increase.