Free-Floating Car-Share Pilot
On April 24, City Council approved a Free-Floating Car-Share Pilot to commence June 1, 2018, for 18 months.
Car-share organizations and companies can submit an application for free-floating car-share parking permits for their vehicles.
They must also submit a list of valid licence plate numbers and up-to-date Ontario validation sticker information for each car-share vehicle.
The list must be submitted in electronic format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On April 24, City Council approved a Free-Floating Car-Share Pilot to commence June 1, 2018, for 18 months
- The permit will be provided on an annual basis starting June 1, 2018
- Up to 500 overnight on-street permits to be issued per car-share company for customers to park on permitted streets (for a maximum of 2,000 permits)
- Excluding streets/areas that are at 95 per cent capacity or more for residential permit parking
- No more than one car-share vehicle from the same company is allowed to park on a street block with residential permit parking for any length of time. Car-share company must move its vehicle(s) within two hours of a complaint
- Temporary permits for general use can now also be issued to residents, visitors and tradespersons for streets with permit parking up to 95 per cent capacity
- Car-share companies must pay any outstanding fines or penalties before permits can be issued as part of the Free-Floating Car-Share pilot
- The free-floating parking permit shall be clearly displayed in the lower inside of the windshield on the driver’s side of the car.
- Streets and areas that are at 95 per cent capacity or more for residential permit parking must be excluded from the car-share company/organization’s car-share service area via geo-fencing within the respective car-share company/organizations’ trip reservation system. A list of excluded streets/areas that are at 95 per cent capacity or more for residential permit parking will be provided by the City at the beginning of the permit period and updated every six months.
- A car-share vehicle must not be parked in any one place for a period exceeding two consecutive days.
- No clustering is permitted, where clustering is defined as more than one car-share vehicle from the same car-share company parked on the same City street block for any length of time
- A car-share company must move its car-share vehicle(s) within two hours if becoming aware of its car-share vehicles clustering.
- A car-share company must move its car-share vehicle(s) within two hours of receipt of notification from the City or a resident
Tier 2 Permit
Per car-share vehicle/per year: $1,487.85 + HST
Per Permit: $32.43 + HST
The re-issuance of the free-floating car-share parking permit for a new licence plate shall only occur if the original permit is returned to the City.
- The annual fee for each tier of permit applies to the fiscal year (June 1st to May 31st) and is pro-rated monthly
- All fees are subject to applicable taxes and an annual inflationary increase