Automated Vehicles Tactical Plan
The Draft Automated Vehicles Tactical Plan was created to fill a gap: between emerging technical understandings of AVs and the City of Toronto’s existing long-term visions, strategies, and plans of a healthy, equitable, livable and sustainable City.
The AV Tactical Plan outlines how the City should prepare for AVs and how it can influence the direction of the technology in these early stages. The overall goal is to be proactive, ensuring that Toronto is well-placed to both maximize opportunities and mitigate impacts arising from the arrival of AVs in the City.
The Plan will ensure that all divisions and agencies are following a consistent direction on this technology, and will allow for clear communication of the City’s priorities as they relate to AVs.
The City’s 3-Year Transportation Services Automated Vehicle (AV) Work Plan outlines the need for the Interdivisional AV Working Group to lead the creation of the City’s corporate vision and approach to AVs.
In April of 2017, the Working Group echoed this need for an automated vehicle policy position, and collaborated on the creation of a “Draft Automated Vehicles Tactical Plan.”
The framework of the Plan was included for information in a report to City Council in January 2018, and Council requested that staff return in early 2019 with specific recommendations and a detailed and comprehensive Plan.
The foundation of the Draft AV Tactical Plan is comprised of existing City policies, plans, and strategies. The goal of the Plan is to articulate how automated vehicles fit into Toronto’s existing City vision, as outlined in these documents. The policy background of the Plan can be identified in the following documents:
- City Manager’s Office. City of Toronto Strategic Actions, 2013-2018.
- City Planning. Toronto Official Plan.
- Economic Development & Culture. Collaborating for Competitiveness: A Strategic Plan for Accelerating Economic Growth and Job Creation in Toronto.
- Environment & Energy. TransformTO: Climate Action for a Healthy, Equitable and Prosperous Toronto.
- Equity Diversity & Human Rights. 2015-2018 Strategic Plan.
- Fleet Services. City of Toronto Consolidated Green Fleet Plan 2014-2018.
- Information & Technology. City Information Technology Strategy.
- Information & Technology. Open Data Master Plan 2018-2022.
- Social Development, Finance & Administration. TO Prosperity: Toronto Poverty Reduction Strategy.
- Social Development, Finance & Administration. Toronto Strong Neighbourhoods Strategy 2020.
- Toronto Employment & Social Services. Working as One: A Workforce Development Strategy for Toronto.
- Toronto Public Health. Toronto Public Health Strategic Plan 2015-2019: A Healthy City for All.
- Toronto Transit Commission. Corporate Plan 2018-2022.
- Transportation Services. Congestion Management Plan 2016-2020.
- Transportation Services. Curbside Management Strategy: Improving How Curbside Space Is Used.
- Transportation Services. Vision Zero: Toronto’s Road Safety Plan, 2017-2021.